Dohc Efi 2.0 - Tappets Noisy

Guest FLUX

Finally got my DOHC running with exhaust and all.

Unfortunately the tappets are now making a constant clicking, which I am sure they were not prior to it first heat run with water in and all.

The oil was a little low and I have topped it up, but the ticking remains. I know this engine has hydraulic cam lifters.

Are there any techniques for priming these as the engine has lain for about 6 months with out turning over properly though the head was stripped and oiled up at the time of refurb ;) .

Any hints/tips would be great

thanks

Guest Dee Jay

Hi,

You can strip down the hydraulic cam followers they usually gum up and give a clicking noise when running or on start up, inside there is a spring and ball bearing which stops the oil feeding back, the manuals say these can not be stripped but I did mine and found them totally clogged with sludge, obviously you will have to remove cams and chain for access. Once the cam followers are out you need to remove the centre plunger which can be tight, I found banging them down sharply on a block of wood shocked them out , then you can have access to the ball and spring, a good clean up and rebuild is then needed. also make sure the oil feed bar to the cams is clear and sprying freely.

Regards

Dave

Thanks guys.

I think I will leave it for now. The oil spray bar is working perfectly and I do not want to fork out for another chain tensioner as at £50 a pop its a bit expensive.

If Tango's are still going fine with the noise then I can wait till next winter and do it then.

Thanks guys.

I think I will leave it for now. The oil spray bar is working perfectly and I do not want to fork out for another chain tensioner as at £50 a pop its a bit expensive.

If Tango's are still going fine with the noise then I can wait till next winter and do it then.

Look here

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/leslie.welshe...aintensione.htm

I found it to late as his web site was not working, but a good hoody way round things

Steve

I was just about to post that link Steve, thanks

Having just stripped down my engine to have a quick check of the internals I was going to clean the tappets as Dave suggest (sounded like I had one or two tapping) I have done this before on my 8 valve. Now I have a 16 valves head it seemed a bit of a tedious task so I squeezed the excess oil from them then used 5/30 oil instead of 15/40 when I filled up the engine. Started it this week, tapping has gone. RS2000 forum recommends this grade of oil so I thought I'd try it.

One other thing I found was the pressure relief valve had worked loose, it can't come fully out as it hits the casing (common problem) needs tightening with some thread lock.

post-180-1272229372_thumb.jpg

Les

Guest Ian & Carole

Might be worth a drain down, fill with engine flush and run as recommended on the can.

Drain down again and refill with the thinner oil.

Nowt to loose.

Guest Vindi_andy

That could be worth a try ian but im always too busy enjoying the car.

Was going to do a strip down and rebuild over winter to try and cure an oil leak I have but never got round to it. Now were looking to move house and the summer is here I dont want an engine in bits.

What I really fancy is tryong to kill the Twinky cos then I can have a zetec and play with it a little to get a few more horses than the 111 I currently have.