Compression Tests

Guest youngsterS3

Guest youngsterS3

whilst awaiting the insurance company to decide on a value of my written of series 3, I thought I would do some tests to see if the engine in it, is better that the one in the Quantum Xtreme I have bought to replace it.

Both are a 2l pinto, 205 block. The RH has supposedly had stage 1 work done to it and has a weber replacement 32/36 carb. The Xtreme has twin weber 40s, which at idle seem to need some balancing, but when on main, they seem fine.

I did a compression test, same method in both.

4 3 2 1

RH 11.9 11.9 11.8 11.5

Xtreme 13.5 14.1 13.9 13.9

any ideas on these results?

thanks in advance for any info.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

The hood pinto is around 160 psi which is standard, the quantum is running near 200psi which tells me it needs 98 octane and could probably do with a longer duration cam. Burtons recomend 190psi.

All in all the quantum engine sounds good

Guest youngsterS3

cheers for the update

happy to read that others agree that the quantum one seems like the one to keep.

i need to get the carbs balanced etc, so was thinking of a rolling road, by the time i've spent on that i was wondering if i might as well upgrade the cam too!

The idea would be to find out what cam the quantum engine has, then look for a cam with more duration and more lift.

The more you can find out about the engine, bore, piston deck height, combustion chamber volume.

Once you know this you can calculate the rest

Guest youngsterS3

my earlier post has a pic of the quantum cam, but the identification on it comes up blank on a google search, so i reckon it is standard. I you have any idea??

I've always fancied a v8 too, so i was thinking of just getting this car running smoothly for the summer, then upgrading as a winter project. - possibly!

The idea would be to find out what cam the quantum engine has, then look for a cam with more duration and more lift.

The more you can find out about the engine, bore, piston deck height, combustion chamber volume.

Once you know this you can calculate the rest