Helmets

Guest james123

Guest james123

Hi all thinking of starting to look for a helmet as fingers crossed the zero should be on the road soon! Just wanted to know if any of you know what spec it had to be for track days? Or do i just get a cheap one to keep the flies out my eyes???? thanks in advance james

Guest gixerboy600

Hi James

I would definately recomend either an Arai or Shoe, they are both a really good comfortable fit (depending on your head shape) and will give excellent protection. Other thing to look for is the gold square sticker on the back of the lid, this certifies it for track use.

Cheers

John

Guest Ian & Carole
I use my former bike lid a caberg flip front with double visor it has a black one the flips down behind the normal one priceless when that low sun hits you

Hi Dan

I second that, the second "sun visor" is worth its weight in gold.

Road tests in all the bike press it came out on top for comfort and silence.

I bought the kit that allows you to remove the "flip" for summer, car use.

10/10 helmet and comes in at around £100.00 mark.

I think for the first time ever, I disagree with Ian. Get and Arai or a Shoei.

I have ridden bikes since I was 15 and have seen what happens in accidents. I will NEVER put my head in anything other than a Arai.

Try the motorbike shops and you can pick one up for a couple of hundred quid in the sales. I just spent £235 on a £350 Arai because it was last years colours. I think I am right that they all have the same basic shell so spending £500 on one may not be justified but there is a reason some helmets cost £50-£100.

As for visors, the Arai ones can be changed in 20 seconds plus there is a system now that clips on the inside of the visor in seconds that acts like double glazing and stops fogging. These can be tinted as well.

Arai's fit me but I know Shoei are as good but a slightly different shape.

At the end of the day, if you get a sideways impact and your head hits the rollbar, it can be the difference between feeling sorry for yourself about how much it's going to take to repair or dribbling soup down your front for the rest of your life. How much is YOUR brain worth?

Guest The Modfather

I'll second the Arais and can say that the Shoei don't fit me either. There is also some advice, and possibly it is folklore, that all helmets should be changed after 5 years, and definately after a hard impact or a drop on a hard surface.

All EU crash helmets have the date of manufacture stamped on one of the straps. Check this when buying, as you could end up with a lid that is already a year old!

Simpson helmets I believe are still not passed for UK road use, but do pass more stringent US trials, which apparently are higher than the UK! Strange :o

Guest Richard W
I'll second the Arais and can say that the Shoei don't fit me either. There is also some advice, and possibly it is folklore, that all helmets should be changed after 5 years, and definately after a hard impact or a drop on a hard surface.

It's good practice - certainly (although less expensive) in the construction industry the hard hats we have should be changed (binned) after a hard impact. Bike helmets and hard hats work in a similar manner.. they deform/delaminate/break to reduce the force of the impact on your head. If you've dropped it or hit it hard (off a rollcage for example) you might have stressed the construction so that it appears fine, but in reality will provide little or no protection.

Also with construction helmets - and I'm being analagous to bike/car helmets here - they also deteriorate in UV light, so will not provide the same protection as the material has turned more brittle in the sunlight! With bike helmets it may be that UV does something to the outer layers in a similar manner and will reduce their effectiveness after prolonged (approx 5 years?) exposure.

Hi would recommend spending the money on a good one. I have a serious bike crash at about 80mph and my head was the first thing to hit the car. My helmet was a track approved and the doctors said that anything less would have been me dead.

Go for the gold sticker on the back, might seem like a big cost now but think of the cost if you damage your brain!! You can replace a helmet regardless of cost!! :D

Agv are a good make as well but I don't have experience of them which is why I recommend Arai and Shoei.

Richard is quite right that UV does lead to deterioration in the composites in modern helmets. However, if you're using it infrequently and store it in it's bag away from sunlight, I think 5 years can be extended extensively.

Simpson lids were always popular when I was a kid mainly because they were illegal. The reason for this used to be lack of visibility although this was changed after the Bandit II models but they are still not accredited in the UK. They were also a bit heavier than the contemporary brands but if you were using one in a car, I would have no worries about them.