Exhaust Heat Shield

Guest Fred2b

I have used the RHSC supplied stainless steel heat shield on the exhaust silencer and protected the front and rear sharp edges with some chromed edging strip to pass SVA last October. Now after about 300 miles the edging has got too hot and warped out of shape and looks crap.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a better idea. I suppose I could take the edging off altogether but will it be ok for MOT later this year or must it be covered.

Pete :p

• 2 weeks later...

fred

made my own heat shield and for the ends used the protective edgeing from an industrial band saw blade which was painted to match the colour of the car.

it lasted about 15 months before the paint started to flake get the aerosol out and paint another length. Job done 5 minutes.

Swan

Guest rizla

:D :D :D well this is where i step in,rs jigtec are a company that do everything for the kitcar owner from parts to repairs and complete builds,do a serch for"the big rs jigtec project"youl see what i mean

thier telephone number is 01384 636 636 ask for bob,he can answer all your questions,and his advice is given free

ps he does have a soft spot for robin hoods

If you're on a budget, you could do worse than make your own;

Bit of holey aluminium from B&Q, and some left over bits of sheet-alu, and Bob's your uncle. Total cost about a tener. Passed SVA too.

Alternatively, there was a post in the members section recently about converting a stainless steel mesh style waste paper bin, again about a tenner from any of the DIY stores.