Insurance Cat 3 Write Off For Sale

Guest youngsterS3

Guest youngsterS3

After my incident with the pot hole and now following on from that, the writing off of my Robin Hood New Series 3 I am putting it up for sale.

I have many receipts for the car and crucially one showing stage 1 work to the pinto.

Please see http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=25965

for the crash damage. Scroll down through the post for more pics.

here for pics of my build:

http://picasaweb.google.com/youngster2002/kitcar

here for a tub: (As per Nigel's post below this may/may not be suitable. Apologies if I mislead anyone, I thought it was a series three due to the front.)

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C155710/

The New Series three is still as was. It also comes with a 5th exactly the same spare wheel, and full weather gear yet to be fitted. (I have the support bars poppers etc)

Stage 1 2l Pinto - 205 block.

new 32/36 carb

coolman rad from gbs and lower rated thermostat

polo heater

gearbox and diff do not whine at all, (i really notice the difference now I'm driving a Quantum Xtreme, where they are)

stainless fuel tank

5 alloys (1 is slightly damaged from the accident, but is only cosmetic)

I have the build videos on DVD too.

I only did 1900 miles in it since it passed it's SVA in May 2009 and it passed an MOT in Feb 2010.

Having spent 4yrs building it, I was ready to get on with driving, thus the quick replacement with the Xtreme and my non interest in building it again myself.

The insurance company wrote it of on a financial basis so Cat C.

I have sent back to them the v5 for destruction and informed the DVLA that I no longer own the car. So essentially I have bought back a load of parts.

To get it back on the road and get a V5 for it once fixed, ie either the monocoque is straightened/fixed or a replacement monocoque is used a MOT and VIC would need to be passed. Nothing more I have been told will be needed. Thus why the linked replacement tub may be useful to someone.

I am looking to sell the whole New Series 3 as is for £2000

Before I post all the details, receipts etc, I am wondering if this would be of interest to anyone, or am i better off stripping it and selling the parts (I know I'd probably get more this way, but hoping for an easier option!)

Chris

New Malden - Surrey

Guest youngsterS3

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/AdviceOnBuyingAndSellingAVehicle/DG_4022107

shows that the lack of V5 should not be a problem etc and that it can only be gained once an MOT and then VIC have been passed.

If you can fix the monocoque but straightening, re-enforcing then it will pass an MOT and then pass the VIC.

If you replace the tub as a method of fixing the car, it would come down to the VIC test and if the inspector agreed that the information held by the DVLA on the car matched what was in front of them. The v5 stated it as a 'Robin Hood' the DVAL may also have it recorded somewhere that it was a new Series 3.

If the VIC failed, i guess it would be back to needing an IVA.

Hope this clarifies the situation for anyone who may be interested.

It of course may just make a good donor car for someone!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest youngsterS3

Down to £1500 before I stick it on ebay, then strip it and sell the bits if it doesn't go....

If anyone is is interesting in a lot of the parts as a bulk purchase please pm me

remember this doesn't need an IVA, just fixing.

Down to £1500 before I stick it on ebay, then strip it and sell the bits if it doesn't go....

If anyone is is interesting in a lot of the parts as a bulk purchase please pm me

remember this doesn't need an IVA, just fixing.

Hi there, Do you have any pictures you could send me showing the damage?

Edited by OMO

Guest youngsterS3

there are some pics here:

http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=25965&view=findpost&p=200313

let me know if these do not cover it and what specifically you would like a photo of and I will get it sorted for you.

I would also suggest removing your email address from the public visible forum. (ie edit your post)

cheers

Chris

I should caution you Chris that the linked tub you give is not a direct replacement monocoque chassis for your car. That is a mid/rear transverse engine tub and not a series 3. You do see unfinished projects come up from time to time which could provide a chassis to get it back on the road without IVA but not that one I think.

Nigel

Guest youngsterS3

thanks Nigel,

I have updated my first post to say it may not be suitable. I was mainly focusing on the front to try and identify it. (badly it would seem!)

thanks for saving any further confusion by me and any potential buyer.

cheers, Chris

Guest youngsterS3

Sorry - I meant to say Cat C

(I was talking to someone about it being the 3rd write off status then did the post.)

thanks for pointing that out.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest youngsterS3

no takers, so I am going to strip the car.

If anyone wants any bits please pm me and I'll try and get those done first, else I will advertise what is going as and when.

thanks for looking.

Guest lucas11

hi

yes interested in various parts ie rad and fan and complete handbrake conversion etc etc

please let me know if your interested etc

thanks Phil

ps i have also sent an email

Guest The Modfather

I'm interested in your plastics, if you still have them?

What gearbox do you have and if you wish to sell let me know your price?

Regards

Darren

Guest youngsterS3

Hi All,

I will get back to you soon, however, I potentially have a buyer for the hole thing, so just working through that.

should know in a day or two.

The plastics are good down the drivers side and nose, however as per the pics the passenger side are bashed.

I'll come back to you in the order I received the requests.

cheers

Chris

Guest youngsterS3

Hi all,

someone has now bought the whole car, my post saying I was splitting it brought the forum to his attention.

thanks for the interest.

Chris