I'm Going To Look At A Triumph Based S7

Guest docter fox

Guest docter fox

I've been away from kitcars for a while now but I was at Stoneleigh on the sunday and the bug has bitten once more... There is a locally advertised dolly sprint based S7 that I understand has been stood for a a while but is correctly registered as a Robin Hood.

I don't know a great deal about it and the guy goes on holiday for 2 weeks tomorrow but I've arranged to have a look when he gets back. I've done a quick search but it was relatively unsuccessfull so just wondering what light people might be able to shed on these machines. Any idea on what kind of price I should be offering for varying conditions? Are the worth about the same as a sierra based kit?

Are they as reliable as the ford based kits as what I have read seems to suggest not? Engine and mechanical wise I am fairly confident but I want it to be able to take a bit of abuse should the time arise :)

Also noticed that the nw website mentions a problem with the front suspension... in that its not very good and eats bushes... I don't mind replacing bushes if they're easy enough to get hold of? and cheap? but does the suspension unit actually work well or am I going to be driving a tank when compared to my old sierra based S7 I had and loved...

PS. I'm excited about just the thought of getting another hood!

James, nice to see you back to the fold. I don't know anything much about the dolly hoods apart from you need to fit a sprint engine. I used to have a Dolly sprint in the olden days and it was the most fun tin top I ever owned. Had beautifully neutral handling and I had no problems with the engine. I believe all the bushes are still available and they should be capable of handling well. Go for it. You know you want to.

Price wise, I should think £1500 - 2000 as it's an old Hood and not a mainstream one, depending on condition and assuming it's drivable and got an MOT. If it's off the road and needs work then less, perhaps a grand.

Guest Christine

James if your un successful with the Dolly S7 have a look for a Cortina base model, I'm cuffed with mine, some think the front end (which is all cortina) is ugly but boy it works really well.

it is all Ford based and has been ultra reliable.

Garry

post-3824-127442099558_thumb.jpg

Edited by Garry

Guest docter fox

I'm not too fussed about what it's based on, I'm just looking for something that will give me something to tinker with but on the road already so I can just take it out for a blast when I get bored of fettling or when the sun comes out this summer :)

Anybody know how big a job the bushes are to change?