My Zero Build Pics

Guest steve8274

Guest steve8274

hi all

i have decided to put up a few pics of my build.

dont worry, there arent a lot. i keep forgetting to take pics! lol

anyway, i have only just started really, and the route i have intended to take is put all suspension bits on front and rear and get car on deck. i only have a small garage and at the moment the engine is on floor too. once car on floor, i plan to put engine in to make more space in garage. i may put in brake pipework first.

if you spot anything wrong or right (hopefully more rights than wrong) then let me know.

hopefully now that i have set this up, i will rember to take more pics

thanks

steve

Steve,

Looking good I pick my Zero up 2-3 weeks everything is clean, painted and ready to go. Getting excited....nervous.

One question did you use washers or tube on the diff spacers, can't see clearly from the photo?

Regards

Mark

Guest Sharky

Hi Steve

Looking good fella!

I did a similar thing with my build whereby I made sure everything fitted with the running gear right up to engine being installed.

Then I marked and drilled the engine mounts and proceded to strip it all back to the bones again to do the tin bashing.

I know this may seem like a bit (lot)of a faff but to try and fit the engine/gearbox etc with all of the skin panels riveted in is ..... well difficult and to try and fit the tin with the engine and gearbox in is errrr well ... difficult too!

To alleviate the space issue I bought some plastic trestles from B and Q for about £35 or so and the lifted the frame up onto those and I have worked at waist/chest height to do all of the main tin bashing, wiring and plumbing stuff with all my spares in the space below.

Next when the tin bashing and riveting is finished, get some mates round, clear the stuff from underneath and drop it onto axle stands and then start to populate the running gear.

This is what I have found to be a good sequence and I have not been struggling for too much space.

HTH?

Sharky

Guest steve8274

Steve,

Looking good I pick my Zero up 2-3 weeks everything is clean, painted and ready to go. Getting excited....nervous.

One question did you use washers or tube on the diff spacers, can't see clearly from the photo?

Regards

Mark

hi mark,

i used washers as my diff spacers. think they took about 7 each side. only reason i used them was i had no tube and was desperate to put something on the car. it doesnt look to bad, its secure and you wont see it most of time.

Nick,

i have made some progress, bit more than i was expecting really. my pics arent upto your quality tho. plenty of time to learn what to take pics of tho. is there anything i need to take a photo off that i may have missed for mr IVA upto this point or anything i need more detail on?

hi sharky,

my kit at moment is up on trestles and once i finish putting discs and calipers on, i`ll put wheels on and lower it. i was planning putting engine in and leaving it in, then just put car on axle stands, remove front end while i put frame on. the only thing with it is car will still be low to work on but will have more working space with engine not being in way

thanks for looking and nice comments

steve

Stand the car on 4 6"wide. concrete blocks with ratchet straps under blocks & around tyre circumference;you may have a rolling chassis but there are still loads of times you need to get under the car plus the 9" extra height makes all the difference for your aching back

Hi Steve.

I started my Zero at the begining of April and just about to get to the rolling chassis stage. I also have a small garage and a few bashed chins. The only problem I can see is that you will not be able to get the side panels on with the front suspension in place as the wishbones go through them.

Enjoy your build and I'm sure you'll find (like I did) that with every bit that goes on the chassis it starts to look more like a car. When it's on its wheels I'll post some pics.

Bob