2b Tow Bar

Guest martynr

Guest martynr

Can anyone out there give me a heads up as to where i can get a tow bar for my 2B, or where i can get hold of a drawing to have one fabricated. i know some hoodies have had them fitted because i have seen those diddy caravans at Stafford last year.

Thanks in anticipation

Guest chris brown

Stephen A did a write up on how he did his in the (I think) winter 2009 mag. The basics are drill and weld tubes 75 - 100 mm apart and horizontal into the rear chassis (spare wheel hoop) for two M12 bolts. Now bolt to these a piece of steel 6 - 10 mm thick with dims of about 125 X 150 so it drops down from the chassis. From the bottom of this "drop plate take two angle irons to pick up the diff mounting bolts. Steve had to cut the angle about to get it past the diff. Now all that is wanted is two holes in the plate to bolt the ball to, and the electrics of cause.

The above will tow a caravan but if you just want to tow a small trailer then the ball can be bolted directly to the rear hoop after it has had tubes welded in of cause.

I have one I got a drop plate from tow bar fitters and ball with electric kit about £60

drop plate I used is a 6 hole Tow sure Link

Ball Link

wiring kit Link

I then had a pro tig weld in 2 tubes to the rear hoop to align with drop plate Holes.

the drop plate then attaches to hoop top holes second set attach ball / electrics

Then along the bottom I had welded a piece of angle facing back towards the diff

This takes 2 lengths of angle bolted to the diff( replace the diff bolt with some M 12 threaded bar )

all bolted together with some M 12 nuts and bolts at the drop plate end.

If just a small camping light weight trailer then the ball can go on the hoop with out picking up on the diff But my shed on wheels is 400kg

Pics in spring 2010 mag. or I can post up

Stephen