Starter Motor Fix ?

Guest sim

Hi guys

anybody know of a quick fix for my starter 1 of the rear screw terminals has broke its the one that goes to ignition to make it spin

it's just dead

if i earth the starter and put power to one of the fastening bolts of solonoid it spins would this work when fitted in car or would it just earth out

cheers

si

Hi,

from what i know the starter motor body is normally earthed through the car(edit by car i ment engine/gearbox where it mounts). The solenoid has a low power cable coming from the ignition to switch the the large current cable from the battery.

i think the haynes manual shows you how to strip the starter solenoid so if it was mine i'd probably open it up and try and fix it with a new terminal if everything else is running ok.

probably better to do it now than have to sit on the side of the motorway as a temporary fix has come loose.

hth

Edited by agent_zed

would this work when fitted in car
All you are doing is spinning the starter. If the solenoid is not triggered it will not engage the gear in the flywheel. Sounds like you need a new starter/solenoid to replace your solenoid, even tho it's only the end plate contacts broken.

Nigel