Somme Battlefields Trip 2011

steve in stockport

As mentioned at the AGM I am planning on visiting the battlefields and memorials of the Somme next year, ideally I would like to go the week up to and including July 1st, as this was the date the battle started 95 years ago, but can also do the end of July beginning of August if that fits in with school holidays etc.

As Laura and other wives may be coming we have decided to look into hiring a gite for the trip, and have found one that sleeps up to 20 in 3 seperate building, with it's own entertainment /bar area, cost is roughly £110.00 per person for the week, plus your cheap ferry crossing, food and drink.

The Gite

Trip would include the Lochnagar crater at La Boiselle, the tunnel museum in Albert, the museum of the war in Peronne, Thiepval memorial, a day trip to Ypres in Belgium for last post at the Menin Gate, a colleague of mine is very keen on the first world war and used to be a tour guide on coach trips so I'll get him to sort out an itinerary.

If you are interested add your name below, plus preference for which week, obviously if we go over the twenty we will need to source more accommodation, but there are plenty of places to rent.

Steve

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chris brown

You know I want to go Steve but I will start this off so it is easy to see numbers that want to go and any date is good for me

Guest Ian & Carole

Yes please. :give_rose:

Carole and I would love to come, need to know the dates for next years A/L

House looks good also.

Just need to sort snorers from none snorers :spiteful:

already persicuting the heavy sleepers, !!!! didnt want to sleep with you any how, lol, but suppose depends on numbers but couples could be together theres plenty of double rooms

Mitch

Steve pencil me in with helen end would be best as helen work at a school. will depend on amount of work in the months prior I live in hope that things will pick up by then