Steering Column

Guest Cozzy

Guest Cozzy

Hi Folks, can anyone tell me, excuse my ignorance, when fitting the steering column to the chassis and connecting up to the rack with the GBS steering shaft, my inner shaft appears to want shortening. Before doing this, does the inner (triangular) shaft want pushing rearward toward the steering wheel, or forward toward the front of the car before cutting? Any help here would be appreciated?

Thanks,

Cozzy.

Guest Cozzy

Hi Cozzy,

Mine was ok as is?? Have you a fixed or adjustable column?

I'm only 10 mins from you if you want a look at mine before you commit to the hacksaw. Lol.

Nick.

Hi Nick

Yes its an adjustable one from a 1990 sierra. I'd like to take a look if thats ok, im on nights so its a bit late today to come over, but could call maybe tomorrow? When are you available?

Thanks for that mate.

Cheers Roy.

Do not cut the triangular piece. It will tap back into the upper column if it's too long when you get to the final fixing stage.

First fix the bit that goes onto the splines on the rack making sure you identify the index spline and slot and get these two bits mated together right.

Then fix the steering wheel on the top end getting the indicator cancelling bit right and bolt the wheel up tight as this pulls the upper inner column towards the driver seemingly shortening the triangular bit.

Only then bolt the triangular bit to the lower column. This would be the time to cut some off if you must but you shouldn't need to.

Nigel

Guest Cozzy

Do not cut the triangular piece. It will tap back into the upper column if it's too long when you get to the final fixing stage.

First fix the bit that goes onto the splines on the rack making sure you identify the index spline and slot and get these two bits mated together right.

Then fix the steering wheel on the top end getting the indicator cancelling bit right and bolt the wheel up tight as this pulls the upper inner column towards the driver seemingly shortening the triangular bit.

Only then bolt the triangular bit to the lower column. This would be the time to cut some off if you must but you shouldn't need to.

Nigel

Guest Cozzy

Hi Nigel. Ok, thanks, but the shaft appears to be about 2.5 inches too long, even when its pushed back toward the steering wheel. I'll put the wheel on and take a look then. Can't do it immediately i'm waiting for a new direction indicator cam bush thats on order. I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again.

Roy.

Guest steve8274

hi roy,

i have an adjustable rack on my car what i am building, and although i had issues fitting at first, mine fitted without the need for cutting.

my problem was that i thought my rack was too short. it wasnt until i realised you need an intermediate shaft between column and rack that i could fix it. the triangular bit with white bushes should just push up into column

i have a few pics showing it all connected

steve

Guest Cozzy

hi roy,

i have an adjustable rack on my car what i am building, and although i had issues fitting at first, mine fitted without the need for cutting.

my problem was that i thought my rack was too short. it wasnt until i realised you need an intermediate shaft between column and rack that i could fix it. the triangular bit with white bushes should just push up into column

i have a few pics showing it all connected

steve

[/quote

Hi Steve. Thanks for the info and your build pics. When you say adjustable rack, do you mean adjustable column? Im going to try anothe column i have aquired which is of the non adjustable type to see if there is any difference. Thanks again.

Roy.