Exmo Suspension

Dave Ed

Calling all exmo owners and experts,

I need to replace the suspension on the exmo and need some info. MOT Failure!!

For now, I'm going with standard sierra dampers (Poss koni's) and springs on the rear but does anyone know which coilovers were used on the rear of the later mk2 or upgraded versions. Obv GBSC might still have some in a dark corner so will be ringing later, any idea's of cost?

I've searched on the forum and have figured that the P100 donated its dampers and assume it was the rear dampers, but what springs were used, rating and length? Has anyone used something different? How do they all fit together?

I haven't got the car with me as i'm overseas and have a couple of months to source parts but i want to make sure i get the correct one's first time as time at home with the car and gf is limited!

Lastly, machined ARB or Tie-Bars?

cheers in advance

Dave

the front damper is from a p100 (just the insert) which you need to press fit the threaded collar for the spring, I did mine about a year ago. the rear I'm not too sure on, I've been told original mini spec Gaz units fit but I don't know if any mods are needed.

I've spoken to dampertec at one of the shows and the guy said they could make just about anything to match what you have if you send them some drawings or original parts.

HTH

Jamiep

Cheers Jamie,

do you have any info on the front springs, length or poundage?

my rear susp is all sierra so will be replacing with like for like to keep the costs down

i've heard that the XR4i suspension might fit but not sure if this willl lower the rear too much

Dave

Guest Ace Fettler

Hi Dave,

I can confirm that the Exmo front suspension uses the P100 strut insert. As Jamiep says you need to swap the collars over.

On my car, at the rear, I ran XR4 springs with AVO adjustable rear shocks designed for an early vauxhall corsa (these were picked in consultation with the AVO technical department after establishing the required open and closed lengths, suspension travel etc), I just needed to make up a couple of brackets for the top mount. Unfortunatly I do not have any pics of the mod but the handling was transformed as the rear shocks were then operating in the correct plane and not angled backwards as the ford originals do.

The XR4 springs are a little firmer than the standard spring and gave about an inch or so increase in ride hieght which I found made the rear end feel a lot more "planted".

Hope this helps

Richard

Cheers richard thats pretty much what i needed to know,

just one question and it's probably a daft one, I take it that the p100 strut insert is from the front suspension and the spring is thrown away as well as the collars etc. So just the bottom part of the damper is left which i press the old collar onto ?

do you have any info on front springs such as length or poundage.

cheers

Dave

Guest Ace Fettler

Dave,

Your assumptions is correct. The bare inserts are available from most motor factors on to which you press your existing collars. As regards spring rates and lenghths I stuck with the Robin Hood originals, but re-machined the Robin Hood collars to lower the front by about an inch. I found the spring rates were just about spot on once I had thrown the anti-roll bar away and fitted tie bars. The other mod I did was to fit adjustable bottom arms, which have a rose joint in place of the inboard rubber bush (not cheap!) to enable the camber angle to be adjusted. The combination of rose-jointed tie bars and adjustable bottom arms then permitted the full range of adjustment for camber and castor. The end result was a neutral handling car with a compliant, but well damped ride.

Richard

Guest Ace Fettler

Dave,

Part no for the AVO shocks I used at the rear is TE781, cant find the number for the front strut yet but I am sure I have it buried in my files somewhere. I will post it if I come across it.

Richard

sorry for the delay in reply, I've been away. The front springs are from Robin Hood so not sure on poundage, I had a bit of trouble sourcing the damper insert as all the pattern strus I ordered seemed to be welded together and priced abit high, in the end I rang GBSc and they had some knocking around.

If you don't have them alredy you will need some bearing rings for the top also, if you do a search on here for 'exmo' you should find a link for the correct bearings aswell.

Guest Ace Fettler

Mower Man,

Sory for the delay in replying, I have been away on business for a while. Adjustable track control arms are available from the likes of Burton Power or Rally Design or West Wales Rally Spares but they are not cheap. Burtons catalogue currently lists them at £255.28 for a pair with spherical joints, slightly cheaper with rubber bushes. Burton Part number is TCA5R.

Richard

Guest mower man

Mower Man,

Sory for the delay in replying, I have been away on business for a while. Adjustable track control arms are available from the likes of Burton Power or Rally Design or West Wales Rally Spares but they are not cheap. Burtons catalogue currently lists them at £255.28 for a pair with spherical joints, slightly cheaper with rubber bushes. Burton Part number is TCA5R.

Richard

Thanks for the reply it was a nice idea but at that sort of price it may well stop as an idea !!,thanks again for your time regards mower man :shok: :bad: :(

I looked at the adjustable tca's and corby motorsport are cheaper. http://www.corbymotorsport.com/sierra-all-2wd-models-pair-adjustable-tca-p-2243.html

also look here http://compbrake.co.uk/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=tca&osCsid=xmrxfakoica

i dont know if the difference in price reflects difference in quality, they come in 2 types, pinch bolt or normal

i'll be seeing what Santa brings me in exactly 6 months time

Dave