Exmo Suspension

Dave Ed

My exmo had the optional coil overs at the rear and they were poor and failed farily early on.

Dave at Dampertech sorted me decent replacements that have now done approx 55K miles and are still good.

I have been meaning to improve the front eversince they punched up through the buttresses :( since well fixed but still useing the original inserts that are still a bit over damped in my opinion.

So I am interested if he can sort out replacement fronts

The antiroll bar has a big influence on damping, its to thick, designed for the heavier Sierra

Swap to tie bars or as an interim mill back the bar where it drops under the sump to half thickness.

Even if you go with a top wishbone setup you will still want to mod the antiroll bar or go tie bar

I had gaz on my hood, in my opinion they aren't all that fronts failed in 2000miles and dampertech wanted £70 to rebuild them, having now had protech / procomp I wouldn't use anything else. The difference is night and day, remember how light your car is most dampers are not valved right for our cars

• 11 months later...

A few questions because I'm having difficulty sourcing replacement dampers.....

Does anyone know if the p100 damper insert is from the sierra or cortina model of the p100?

I've assumed it from the front strut of the p100...is this correct?

And finally, I can't believe ford specially made these damper insert just for the p100 so does anyone know if the insert was used in any other models?

• 5 months later...

I got a v.cheap pair of front shocks from a Sierra p100......as can be seen these are different to the dampers which are on the Exmo......the smaller damper is from the Exmo and the longer damper is front the Sierra p100.

I can only assume the Exmo uses the cortina p100 dampers....this is getting frustrating......dampertech can do me a pair for £400 which is a bit steep which is why Im trying to source elsewhere.....eurocarparts and many others can't get them so I'm running out of options...

748EA936-D6F4-4C1B-BF3C-736A68707435_zps4qpqva67.jpg

Cheers rob, I did just that and got a response earlier today;

good to make contact with you. Yes the front struts are in fact strut inserts, these were specially made for us by AL-KO, a German shock absorber manufacturer, These were purchased through DAVE AINSWORTH, (DAMPERTEC) who was their uk agent at the time, I think he is still kicking around and now sells GAZ shock absorbers on the internet. Whilst that is not particularly good news for you now, I remember that we purchased all the strut inserts that were available to assess, but found that they were all too long, that is why we had to have them made specially, having said that, we did all the development and assessment on the shortest stock items, which I think were VW Polo, so it may be worth giving them a try.

Please pass my regards on to any of the older members of the club who are still around, I get a lump in my throat every time a `Robin Hood' comes to wards me, I imagine I can see the rebellious ,defiant look on the faces of the drivers, keep up the good work, Richard.

I've pressed the collars off today (needed 30t press) and I'm going to speak to danpertech again and see if there is any change my existing dampers can be rebuilt with new seals.....if not I'm probably going to buy new ones from them. I've put these photos together which may be useful to other Exmo owners;

RobinHoodExmofrontdamperdetails_zps18e02793.jpg

RobinHoodExmofrontdamperandcollarassembly_zpsa37bc5db.jpg

RobinHoodExmocollardetails_zpsd4f75d2f.jpg

A few members on here have all said that the Exmo uses ford p100 damper inserts....although not said which model p100 (Sierra or cortina).

Richard Stuart has said that the dampers were specially made for the exmo as stock dampers that were around at the time were all too long.

From my post above, the Sierra p100 dampers are not the same as the Exmo.....as they are too long.

I've now sourced and bought 2 new cortina p100 front shocks...£65 for the pair.....however looking at the photo of them on the website I have my doubts that these are correct.....

251E923C-194C-41AA-BFBB-D13719B9B5DC_zpszzm8lkgs.jpg

But I can't imagine that these type of dampers come to bits??

Edited by steamer

Guest 2b cruising

A few members on here have all said that the Exmo uses ford p100 damper inserts....although not said which model p100 (Sierra or cortina).

Richard Stuart has said that the dampers were specially made for the exmo as stock dampers that were around at the time were all too long.

From my post above, the Sierra p100 dampers are not the same as the Exmo.....as they are too long.

I've now sourced and bought 2 new cortina p100 front shocks...£65 for the pair.....however looking at the photo of them on the website I have my doubts that these are correct.....

251E923C-194C-41AA-BFBB-D13719B9B5DC_zpszzm8lkgs.jpg

But I can't imagine that these type of dampers come to bits??

hi Steamer I have just been reading about similar shocks in January's edition of complete kit car mag page 14. It seems like they do the kind of shocks you are after. www.protechshocks.co.uk. 01225 705553 Kevin Lockwood or Simon Heard. HTH Ken W

Guest mower man

You may be aware or possibly not that alko manufacture trailer parts, is it poss ible that the inserts tricky dicky used were trailer shocks or reaction brake dampers as uesed on trailers and caravans I 'm probably peing into wind with this but he did use some weird and not so wonderfull parts and suppliers bless him !! mick

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update this;

The front dampers are not Sierra P100 damper inserts.

Are they Cortina P100 damper inserts.........well I'll never know as they never turned up and I got a refund from Paypal.

Luckily, Dampertech had a pair left over from the 'old-days' and was able to sell them to me at £150 for the pair......and these were the last pair!

So anyone wanting replacements in the future, you have 3 options;

1) Take the risk on Cortina P100 front damper inserts - however these are as like hens-teeth

2) See if Dave at Dampertech can make you a pair......(my photos with the dimensions on was enough for him to know exactly what the damper were).

3) Koni do an adjustable damper - part number 8610-1436 which looks almost the same.....the only difference that matters being it's diameter is 43.5mm (1.5mm bigger than the exmo dampers) and so the spring-seat collar that presses onto the dampers would have to have it's bore skimmed out slightly. K300 ltd quoted me £400 for a pair of these dampers......not cheap but at least there is something out there that would do the job.

I believe the reason my dampers had started leaking was due to there being no angular movement where the top of the damper bolts to the top suspension arm.

I'd never noticed or realised this before, but as the damper moves up and down it's travel, it needs to pivot a couple of degrees where it bolts to the top suspension. Because I'd reinforced my suspension arm, there was absolutley no movement or flex in the arm so as a result, the damper rod tried to pivot where it slides into the damper body....and over time the seal gave up.

To combat this, I've had to put some flex back into the where the damper bolts to the top suspension arm....and I've done this by basically using a rubber washer in a aluminium cup......

http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/richardm6994/media/4337848D-4B86-4180-ABE6-F0BC17138808_zps8ydttaqo.jpg.html]4337848D-4B86-4180-ABE6-F0BC17138808_zps8ydttaqo.jpg[/url]

http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/richardm6994/media/52CD87FD-CF16-47FD-8C5E-2CDD0BDAA912_zpswq0fglxo.jpg.html]52CD87FD-CF16-47FD-8C5E-2CDD0BDAA912_zpswq0fglxo.jpg[/url]

http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/richardm6994/media/55050460-5031-4F53-8D07-B0961DC97E19_zpsbjyyzymi.jpg.html]55050460-5031-4F53-8D07-B0961DC97E19_zpsbjyyzymi.jpg[/url]

http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/richardm6994/media/FFC82B52-9231-4CDE-948F-5FE21231894E_zpsasovynvk.jpg.html]FFC82B52-9231-4CDE-948F-5FE21231894E_zpsasovynvk.jpg[/url]

http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/richardm6994/media/30CAEDCA-4DA3-4FE2-B11A-C92F84954F3D_zpsxpozvjhq.jpg.html]30CAEDCA-4DA3-4FE2-B11A-C92F84954F3D_zpsxpozvjhq.jpg[/url]

http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/richardm6994/media/97D6937B-3ABA-4734-962E-30BD48EEC224_zpsjzmlepwh.jpg.html]97D6937B-3ABA-4734-962E-30BD48EEC224_zpsjzmlepwh.jpg[/url]

http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/richardm6994/media/3D8982B8-88BE-4D4F-B1AC-47A1B9E7AEC3_zpsjtfwz1g1.jpg.html]3D8982B8-88BE-4D4F-B1AC-47A1B9E7AEC3_zpsjtfwz1g1.jpg[/url]

Edited by steamer
  • Like 1