Acceptable Engines

Guest currington

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Russler, no it wasn't a dig at a certain student at all!

it was from the many years experiencing what looks good when drawn on a CAD, but is impractical when actually brought down to making it work on the shop floor.

Have you ever tried removing a heater out of a modern car?

we once had a machining jig made for a component, the trouble was to get the component out of it, we had to "gas axe" part of this jig away.

you've not seen draughtsmen that put tolerances of 2 thou on a drilled hole yet?

It's not their fault, it's the system. They get maybe a couple of weeks to roam around the "smelly" end of things, then that's it, they're off to their CAD machine, never to be seen again.

no it's not a dig anyone on here, just a general moan after 36 years of it.

Jim, did they get all those old sockets etc. out of the engine too? I think the K series was a very clever design, the problem is they made it too big and had to change some important design features, I think you will find it is the 1800 ones with the problems.

Peter

Guest Troy Halliday

I've been swating up on engine spec's and tune'ability. The Vauxhal 2 litre seems to be about the best option to me. I looked at the Zetec but found it to be very expensive to get any real power out of it, hell you have to tune it just to get to the same spec as the standard Vauxhall lump (153bhp). I am just getting a few prices together for a 208bhp kit, and they honestly aren't that much................. not cheap, but compared to other engines it's a bargain. Oh and dry sump kits are getting much cheaper aswell from about £495.

Guest Battery Bill

Jim

Have you ever tried removing a heater out of a modern car?

Well yes I have, :rolleyes: It was only a couple of weeks ago too. I took the heater out of a Volkswagon Polo at the scrappies :p I know what you mean though I had to "Break quite a few other bits of the car just to get what I wanted out. (By the way Joey was not allowed in and had to wait outside :D He was well *bleep* off, Health and Safety you know :rolleyes: )

you've not seen draughtsmen that put tolerances of 2 thou on a drilled hole yet?

All the time :lol: :lol: And the funny thing is they actually think we do the holes to the tolerances they want.

I must admit I was a bit shocked at the idea that Razzler had a degree :lol: :lol:

I have one of them though a "Degree Nisi" well I think thats how you spell it :lol:

a "Degree Nisi"
surely you meen, Degree absolute! ie, over and bloody done with, once and for all, never again, not ever! :angry: (See, you got me bloody going!)
And the funny thing is they actually think we do the holes to the tolerances they want.

The best of all was, we have quality audits every week, where the quality Technician (graduate, never got his hands dirty) inspects a component against the drawing. This particular week, he decided to inspect a hand bent S/S water pipe that we made for Volvo bus (Hand bent with bench equipement rather than by m/c)

The tolerance is +/- 2mm either side of the centre line, but we all know that you can 'adjust' a pipe if it's a little out. He failed it for being 2 microns out of the tolerance! you can imagine my comments at the audit meeting, needless to say, he never did check pipes again!! (or speak to me again, but who cares?)

Guest Russler

OI we'll have less of that, I will have you know I was studing fluid flow very intensly last night, the conclusion I have derived is that you shouldn't drink 8 pints followed by some nasty shots bought by your mates which you can't quite work out what they contain. I think it must be someting in the mixing possibly a problem with turbulence in my stomach. OOh I have just had an idea possibly if I drank through a long enough pipe keeping reynolds number below 2000 I could build up a sufficient boundary layer before the fluid reaches my stomach thereby reducing the mixing effect with greater laminar flow :D :D :D

• 3 weeks later...

Having done the K transplant referred to in the earlier post the sensible advice would be to stay clear of the K, yes, as it's lots of effort for not much reward. If it's power you want you'll spend a comparatively silly amount to get decent power compared to something like a Honda, Ford Zetec or the good old Vauxhall.

Surprised no-one has tried a Peugeot Mi16 (XU) block yet, though, they canter over quite a bit so would probably go under the standard bonnet, and they make decent power too - 163bhp in standard form and 180-185 with little extra effort (carbs/TB's).

I agree the obvious choice is a Zetec or Vauxhall...