Headlight Warning Alarm

Guest ScottG

Guest ScottG

Now that I have started to actually use my car I have a terrible habbit of leaving the headlights on.

Two of my colleagues have turned the lights off as they walk past.

Apart from being more observant I would like to rig up a warning buzzer to remind me, I cant imagine its too difficult and everyone else is bound to have them.

Where do I start?

Hi,

yeah its annoyingly easy to leave your lights on the main problem you will find though is having no doors to open there is nothing to activate an alarm. one option to add to the above would be to put in a seat sensor switch to do the same job. Then as soon as you go to get out and the lights are still on it would activate the buzzer. Shouldn't cost much with a few bits from maplins, can't see it being more than £5.

iam no electrician so i may have this wrong but my thinking is to run a live from the sidelight wiring to the seat pressure switch, (which would need to turn off when depressed) and then to a buzzer and then earth. Hopefully then if the lights are on and you get up power will flow through the open switch and sound the buzzer.

hth

Guest chris brown

And you'd have a warning if you stalled at night!.........sorry, I'll get my coat!

I like that :crazy: :yahoo:

Andy that is a great idea and the only cost would be a buzzer

Guest mower man

Are your head lights not wire through an ign on only live?, have you not got lights in your instruments or why not fit a warning light fed from the lighting cicuit? HTH regards mower man :crazy: 8P :good:

Guest youngsterS3

how about one of these:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_kw=headlight&_kw=buzzer&_dmpt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM

I got the one with the green cardboard backing.

it works as long as your ignition switch goes to earth when off.

one wire you splice in to say the dash lighting, ie on when the lights are on, the other you wire in to another circuit that is live when the ignition is on, but gets earthed when the ignition switch is off. something like the wiper motor (for self park it is always live with ignition on) --double check this off the top of my head instructions!

Chris

Thanks for the recommendation Lee :lol: but I really am no Electrician.

OK the diagrams on my website (which I hasten to add are for my car) work a treat with regards to the Lights On Warning Buzzer.

This however works only for the Headlights.

I too have nearly been left with a flat battery a couple of times due to leaving the Sidelights on! :sorry:

OK simples I thought. I'll re-wire it so that the Buzzer operates when the sidelights are on.

I just cannot get this to work properly though.

I think this worked (by fluke) before because the Headlight wire that I used went to earth - The Sidelights don't work this way.

OK. I have a Relay in play so the this circuit only works when the Ignition is off. ie Power isn't present with Ign On.

I attached the wiring diagram that was supplied with the Relay - Can anyone help???

post-1241-127775075132_thumb.jpg

0v at L (Ign On - supplied by separate Relay) makes 1 have 0v

12v at L (Ign Off - supplied by separate Relay) makes 1 have 12v

Lights OFF:

If I Earth 1, Buzzer Operates.

If I connect 1 to 12v Buzzer Operates.

Lights ON:

If I Earth 1, Buzzer Operates (This is what I want, but it's not a switching/switchable circuit).

If I connect 1 to 12v Buzzer Silent.

?????????

Now having a ponder on what Chris (youngsterS3) has said......

.... and cracked it!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

Removed the Relay (which somehow was trying to make it work the other way around?) and spliced as recommended.

Just going to make it all permanent now and will supply and alternative diagram on my website in due course.

Thanks Chris. :drinks:

Guest mower man

The real answer is do you get so excited that you dont check that all systems are shut down before you leave the vehicle ?? it seems to methe next stage is an engine running alarm !! if this upsets you I apologise but come on get real mower man :unknw: :shok: :80: 8P