Front Indicators

Guest stevie2b

Guest stevie2b

Hi All

Has anyone passed SVA at Norwich, without extending the Front Indicators on stalks to meet the 400mm requirement to outer edge of body? If it is neccessary,what are your suggestions for the best way to do it? Comments appreciated.

Steve.

If you are using M/bike indicators, the way i did it was to get a piece of tube of similar dia to the arms of my indicators and araldite a nut in each end, then drill a bolt through its centre and pass the wire through (nosecone side) and i wrapped the tube in self amalgamating tape so it looked perminant.

This passed test without a problem and was removed later and the indicators returned to a more suitable length.

HTH

Mitch

Hi Steve,

I passed at Norwich 2 weeks ago with the standard RH indecators on the front, he measured from the outside of the indecator to the outside of the front cycle wing (he should have used the rear) and it passed.

I'm not sure what the measurement was, I didn't even think about it, I just bolted them on and that was it. :)

Guest stevie2b

Guy

First, well done for the pass and second thanks for the info. That has saved me some work! : :D I've asked for 15th April test date, hopefully to have the Hood on the road by May.

Much appreciated.

Steve

Guest JohnS

Hi Steve

I passed at Norwich with the RH suppied indicators,

but failed on the position of the repeaters, i had them mounted on the out side of the long wings above the hub centre, and he faild these as they were visable from the front (Two sets of forward facing indicators).

Moved them in onto the body (less visable) this was OK.

This to me rasies the question how do Mercs. get away with there mirror mounted ones?

Good Luck

JohnS

Guest JohnS

OK mike

So were are thier repeaters?

If they are useing the one unit to do both surely you need to be able to see 50% of the lens in that rear arc and you cant.

John

Guest MikeD318

The repeaters are in the normal place. I think so long as the front meets the requirements of only one flasher (oo err) then you can get away with wierd locations. I've heard of a JBA falcon that got through the SVA with 2 side repeaters on the examiner comented on what a good idea it was. I may be talking bovine excrement though :rolleyes:

Guest JohnS

Right

i'll get off my high horse and let the germans have that one,

but i still think that the original position that i used was safer and i though that was what the SVA was about.

JohnS

he measured from the outside of the indecator to the outside of the front cycle wing (he should have used the rear) and it passed.

I passed with unmodified RHE "motorcycle type" indicators last summer at Derby. The tester was about to check the measurement at the back, but I explained that the "out edges" of the vehicle weren't parallel, therefore he should be measuring at the same distance from the front as the stalks are - ie about where the front wings are. He seemed happy enough with this as it was one thing which neither my first or second testers tried to fail. The words "outer edge" are in the SVA manual (I think), and nowhere does it say that they must be parallel!

Ant

PS - Don't blame me if they fail!!!!!!! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Guest MikeD318

As it turns out, I am wrong anyway. The Merc has front indicators in the headlights and side repeaters on the mirrors, so you can get back on your horse John :D

Guest chris brown

I dont rember seeing any where in the SVA manual that you must not be able to see front and side at the same time was this a bit of jobsworth?

Guest atigue

Hi everyone

This is my first e mail on this site, my sub K failed on front indicators at Norwich but have now extended them and got a pass on the 19th feb :rolleyes: . just got it registered and on the road.

Andrew

Well done Andrew, you should have been posting for the last 12 months or so, everytime you hit a problem, that's what this is here for!

Now nip back to your "My Controls" and put your location in. Then get yourself a membership form filled in and sent to Tim.

Jim