Axle Wind Up

Guest steveyb

Guest steveyb

First try out of the S7 Cortina based and the diff front end is nosing up on throttle to a point where it's fouled the tunnel cover.

New bushes were fitted to all four trailing arms on assembly, so didn't really expect this amount of nose up at the diff.

The UV has actually bent one of the bolts securing the tunnel cover to the rear wall!

Am assuming the give in the bushes especially the lower rear void bushes are the main cause, so, would poly bushes all round be the answer?

If Poly bushes are fitted to the top arms, would these bind at all?

Or are extra trailing arms the only way to stiffen up the axle location?

Pic taken with weight of car on the wheels. Space between diff nose and tunnel cover about 3 ins.

post-4035-097515400 1279400958_thumb.jpg

Guest RodLane

Hi Stevey

The cortina rear axles do that. You need one or more additional links to prevent axle wind up. Check out this old thread where Chris gives a good description of what needs done.

My link

I presently have the original RH bodge with a link bolted into the top of the differential which works ok until the day it goes bang. The better alternative is the two rear links onto either end of the axle. I am uprating mine in the near future before i destroy my diff casing.

Good luck.

Rod.

Guest steveyb

I presently have the original RH bodge with a link bolted into the top of the differential which works ok until the day it goes bang.

Do you have the original rubber bushes as well Rod?

I just can't believe the amount of axle rotation even with new bushes, what must it be like with old ones? Was the old Cortina prone to this degree of wind up.

I might go down the poly bush try out first, as it's easier, if it doesn't do the job then it's back to the fifth link option

Thanks for the input.

I presently have the original RH bodge with a link bolted into the top of the differential which works ok until the day it goes bang.

And when it does goes BANG!! =@ you will know all about it :wacko: as I did when mine gave way in a shower of bits of axle casing.

Most people I know with a Cortina Hood have lost the link in favour of the mod with the Micra links ;)

Guest Christine

Hi Stevey,

I've poly bushed mine and have Links fitted, this has cured the problem .:yahoo: Poly bushes alone will not make much differance.:unknw:

Edited by Garry

Guest steveyb

And when it does goes BANG!! =@ you will know all about it :wacko: as I did when mine gave way in a shower of bits of axle casing.

Most people I know with a Cortina Hood have lost the link in favour of the mod with the Micra links ;)

Sorry Chris, I highlighted in bold Rod's reply (should have quoted), I haven't got the RH remedy fitted.

And do you still have the relevant info on the Micra setup I could copy, I assume the link mounts on the axle are welded to the flat plates on the axle top either side of the diff? Are the body mounts also welded or bolted

Garry, is your link set up the same that Chris has using the Micra links and have you poly bushed all ends of the 4 arms or just the rear lower arm void bushes?

TIA Steve.

HI Stevek - If you click the link above to another thread you will see pictures of Chris N's Micra ties bars from the outer edge of the axles either side (on welded brackets) to brackets welded to the tub. I have the same solution (nearly identical) and it cures the wind up completely.

really nead to do this - I have ripped the brackets out of the tub before now and the rear wheel steer under acceleration was frightening - Now brackets are really strong !!!!

do you still have the relevant info on the Micra setup I could copy, I assume the link mounts on the axle are welded to the flat plates on the axle top either side of the diff? Are the body mounts also welded or bolted

I still have the plans somewhere, will look them out for you in the next couple of days and do you a copy. PM me your address and I will pop them in the post.

The mounts weld to the axle where the bump stop plates are and are bolted to the rear fire wall of the tube.

Guest steveyb

I still have the plans somewhere, will look them out for you in the next couple of days and do you a copy. PM me your address and I will pop them in the post.

The mounts weld to the axle where the bump stop plates are and are bolted to the rear fire wall of the tube.

Many thanks Chris, will pm address.

Steve

Guest shaggy

HI Stevek - If you click the link above to another thread you will see pictures of Chris N's Micra ties bars from the outer edge of the axles either side (on welded brackets) to brackets welded to the tub. I have the same solution (nearly identical) and it cures the wind up completely.

really nead to do this - I have ripped the brackets out of the tub before now and the rear wheel steer under acceleration was frightening - Now brackets are really strong !!!!

Does this apply to all S7's or just the Cortina based S7's?

Si

Steve, I have found the plans so will get them copyed and put then in the post to you tomorrow.

At some point I will get round to scanning them and posting them up on the forum for future reference.

Guest steveyb

Steve, I have found the plans so will get them copyed and put then in the post to you tomorrow.

At some point I will get round to scanning them and posting them up on the forum for future reference.

Many thanks Chris.

Steve