Cycle Mud Guard Top L Shape Bracket Failure

Guest dellyend1

Guest dellyend1

Hi All,

Newbie post, am now the proud owner of a S7 (mark 3 I think) Robin Hood. Collected and drove back 110 miles and car did not miss a beat. However, was quite shocked when the drivers side from cycle mud guard tilted and lifted backwards all of a sudden. When I managed to pull over and inspect the front L shape bracket that acts as the top support for the cycle wing guard had snapped clean through on just above the flat section that has the hole in it that bolts into the suspension basically where it goes from flat to round metal tubing.

Is this a common fault and more importantly where can I get a new one ? Luckly for me there was some para cord string in the car that I was able to use to tie the broken bracket to the suspension arm to get me home

With Many Thanks

Jeremy

yep, very commom, easiest way is to weld two small webs, one front one back to support the bracket, the metal at that piont flexs and eventually breaks through, fitting small webs stops the flex, did mine when building been fine for 7 yrs

HTH

Mitch

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Jeremy

Like Mitch says just triangulate the corners and they will be fine.

GBS do a modified set that you could tow the QE2 with for about 30 quid if you want a strip down of the front end.

HTHs

Hi the same thing happened to me, the very day I bought the car was travelling back up north lost the nearside front it was only being held on by 4mm of netal as the bracket had cracked through trashed a bloody good carbon wing . made new thicker brackets when I got home. wasn't happy but then I wasn't suprised when I had a closer look at the car there was one or two things needing done to fine tune her

Guest dellyend1

Thanks all for the advice and info and for the reassurance that this is a common problem. Can I ask if the GBS enhanced brackets use the same mounts and general design as the originals and thus it is a case of just swapping straight over ?

With Thanks

Jeremy

Guest dellyend1

HI , a further question if I may.

As I will need to unbolt the bolt that pinches the dummy mcpherson strut tight to take the cycle guard bracket off, does anybody have a suitable torque setting for when I re-tighten the afore mentioned bolt?

With Thanks

Jeremy

Guest Ian & Carole

Having had mine come apart on the A1 last summer I have drilled through the stub axle and dummy strut and fitted a 3mm "roll pin" to ensure it wont happen again.

Image021.jpg

Pins cost less than a fiver for 20.

Guest dellyend1

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the tip and something that I would like to do. Forgive my ignorance but trying to visulize the pin fixing how do yo stop the pin from sliding out the pre-drilled hole ? Do you use circlips or a split pin of sorts ?

With Thanks

Jeremy

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the tip and something that I would like to do. Forgive my ignorance but trying to visulize the pin fixing how do yo stop the pin from sliding out the pre-drilled hole ? Do you use circlips or a split pin of sorts ?

With Thanks

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

A roll pin is like a tube with split in it going along it's length, as you knock it in the split closes up and friction holds it in place.

HTH

Steve

Guest dellyend1

Hi Ian,

Thank you for the link , it is really usful. Without pushing my luck I dont suppose you have a photo of your stub axle and dummy strut with the pin in place so I could copy position etc ?

Many Thanks

Once again

Jeremy