Power Upgrade

Guest Tim Norman

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tim Norman

Cheers Nigel

Hit a brickwall with the wiring this morning :wacko: , so I dropped the back end out ready to receive the Cosworth. Some fabrication will be required to mount to anti roll bar, which is so much thicker than the standard! The Cossie rear end has ABS Sensors built in so I might be able to use them for traction control

Guest Tim Norman

What started out as just a "simple" power upgrade has turned into something a whole lot more. Now...........

Create a big plenum from the nose cone to the throttle bodies

Replace XR 4x4i rear end with Cosworth Rear end

Fit rear Anti Roll bar

New windscreen pillars

New paint job

All of the above will of course, not be a simple ten minute job, because nothing I ever do on any of my cars ever is!:drinks:

Guest Tim Norman

I am finding that fitting the rear end retospectively is not as easy as I thought it would be. I am going to have to take the diff off an the trailing arms to make it light enough to move around. Will also beef up the outer mounting points which seem to have bent during my attempt at flying!

As for the paint job, it needs it!

Colour is already chosen, but cant say to at this stage :good:

Guest Bob's Babe

Strangely, my better half has failed to mention his putting a slight hole in a fuel pipe

and trying to flood the garage with petrol... :aggressive:

he did find fuel cans quickly....many thanks Ian for tidying up and so helping this aversion of puddles. :clapping:

SUE :wub:

Guest Ian Marr

Tim - are you now a baptised petrol head? :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl:

Nice one Sue ---- always good to have a spy in the camp :clapping:

Glad my wombling made the situation easier.

May want to ease off the welding til the fumes have gone :excl: (fire safety lecture over)

Guest Tim Norman

No welding required, yet! A little grinding whilst the floor was still damp but fortunately all the red hot sparks cooled themself on my exposed flesh before they fell to the floor. I will tidy up on Friday night when I get back before I start all over again!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tim Norman

Well it started off as a simple power upgrade and has drifted, or rather veered wildly off course into something not so simple. I am now in the process of

Fitting the Cosworth Sierra rear end

"Beefing" up the rear pickup points for the trailing arm pick up points by welding plates back to the tubular chassis.

Welding in brackets to take the rear anti roll bar

New nosecone

Repainting the car (The colour I have chosen may just be the hardest to paint!):diablo:

Fabricating air intake for the Throttle bodies

Stripping out entire loom and fitting new "Simpler" loom

Plus what ever crops up in the mean time!

Hope to be back on the road before Easter. Which Easter is still up for debate! :sorry:

• 1 month later...
Guest Tim Norman

Had a chance to try and get the engine started to day. Tried and failed. Quick phone call to Richard at GBS who gave me a few pointers. But to no avail. So he offered to call in on his way home with his laptop. well it turns out the map in the ECU was for a Zetec. Then the fuel pump refused to run, so we just jury rigged it to the bus bar. Some serious tweeking and it eventually burst into life. Very rich so we killed it and ran for fresh air. Some more tweeking and it burst into life and ran without killing either of us. Now at this moment in time Bobson is not wearing any silencers. Lets just say the last time I heard a noise like that it had wings and machine guns!! Absolutely awsome! The induction roar was almost as loud as the unsilenced exhaust. It just beggars belief. Just need to sort the wiring to the rest of the car and put it all back together. Tonight, I am one happy bun rab.

Big thanks to Richard :friends: who will be round again in the near furture to get the carbs balanced and the timing a little better. In the mean time

YAHOOOOOO!!