Power Upgrade

Guest Tim Norman

with respect to the big boss .

you are mad but i think we all knew that ,

ps mind that ditch., you know the one.

all the best with the small upgrade tim .

graham

respect

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Often wondered about grooved disks.

Are they handed?

Should the grooves wipe any water/gas/muck to the outside of the disk, (helped by centripetal force) to get rid of it?

In the same way as unidirectional tyres...

Tim's pic looks to me (based on absolutely zero knowledge!!!) as if that disk should be on the other side of the car???

I assume it's the NSF wheel?

Bob

PS can I blag a ride please...

Guest Tim Norman

I think the grooves are more to dissipate gases and perhaps a little heat. Not sure about handing, but as ever I will bow to the greater knowledge. On ly reason I changed the discs was because I had a vibration under heavy braking.

Where do you want a ride to?

yes the discs are handed, the idea being the the groove meets the pad on the central side, and sweep to the outside. So that disc ought to be on the driver's side, if it makes any difference.

Guest dinger

The discs are on the right way round Tim, The grooves are used mainly to clear any debris from the pad face after heavy braking, The most important part of the disc is the veins inside the disc, A superior disc will have perfectly angled veins to sweep cool air inbetween the two disc faces, these should also be facing forward.

The holes are purely for asthetics, On a track day you may find them warping and even cracking as it causes a weak spot when the disc cools after heavy braking,

Hope that helps,

Dave

Try and get two the same and fit whatever way round you like and then if they are handed at least one of them will be right. Or maybe it would be the other that was right and the first one would be wrong, although if they are not handed they would both be right anyway and it wouldn't matter. That's what my Nan says and she was right about the nits. So that's sorted then. Next.

Nigel

The holes are purely for asthetics, On a track day you may find them warping and even cracking as it causes a weak spot when the disc cools after heavy braking,

They look like dimples rather than full holes. The dimples don't tend to suffer the same problems.

Andy

but as ever I will bow to the greater knowledge

Tim, this was just conjecture on my part, not knowledge.

As ever, before tearing it all apart (again!)best to check with supplier/manufacturer firs....

Or Nigel's Nan...

PS a Barkstone lap would be fun, but I wouldn't do that to you.

I seem to have a serious Jonah effect where Barkstone is concerned...

Bob

but as ever I will bow to the greater knowledge

Tim, this was just conjecture on my part, not knowledge.

As ever, before tearing it all apart (again!)best to check with supplier/manufacturer firs....

Or Nigel's Nan...

PS a Barkstone lap would be fun, but I wouldn't do that to you.

I seem to have a serious Jonah effect where Barkstone is concerned...

Bob

Guest Tim Norman

Right, Back from Tan Hill so next weekend it all begins, so here's the first question;

At what position before TDC does the trigger wheel missing tooth go?

Right, Back from Tan Hill so next weekend it all begins, so here's the first question;

At what position before TDC does the trigger wheel missing tooth go?

Hi Tim,

The VR sensor needs setting at 50 degrees BTDC. i.e... allign the VR sensor anti-clockwise (viewed from the front)

by FIVE teeth from the missing one. (360 degrees divided by 36 teeth = 10 deg increments, so 50 degree = 5 teeth)

HTH,

Nick.

Guest Tim Norman

As partof the uprade I was trying to find a new diff and drive shafts to perhaps get rid of the annoying grinding noise. They all seem to be going for silly money £200 plus just for the diff! Then this turned up not 2 miles from my back door. Shiney! got it for less than £135. Happy Runny Babbit!

post-13-008577000 1280988390_thumb.jpg