K & N Filter For Standard Pinto Carb

Guest dellyend1

Guest dellyend1

Hi All, second Newbie question.

I have a RH mark 3 with a standard bonnet and it is running a 2.0 pinto with a standard carb. I want to replace the air filter with a K & N but dont want to cut a hole in the bonnet for it to pertrude through. I was told there is a K & N adaption that connects the top of the carb where the pancake filter sits to a plastic housing that then connects to a flexible hose which connects to the K & N that is then tucked down into the nose cone of the car.

Can anybody confirm if I am right in my thoughts and point me in the right direction to get hold of one

With Thanks

Jeremy

I fancied one of these at one time. I was told that some rolling road people chuck them out as they sap so much power. And they are quite tall. A foam pipercross or ITG is the commonest solution. HTH, Brian

Guest dellyend1

Hi Brian , thanks for your thoughts on this. Does the foam piper cross sit on top of the carb and just gets compressed slighly when the bonnet is put back on ? Do you have any part numbers of links

Thanks

Jeremy

Guest dellyend1

HI, thanks for replies to date. I measured the depth of the top of the carb filter mount to the underside of the bonnet and I have approx 45mm to play with. Having looked at foam piper cross filters they are all too tall and stipulate that 13mm air gap must be maintained between top of the filter and the underside of the bonnet.

I have seen a small K & N which I think will fit and this is 45mm in height but is only rated for 85bhp. My question is how good is my current chrome pancake filter and would a small K & N be much of an improvement and value for money as they are nearly £50.00.

Thanks

Jeremy

PS what is the ITG solution ? Thanks

Guest shaggy

My question is how good is my current chrome pancake filter

Jeremy,

you can answer this one yourself. Take the pancrap filter off, and give the car a blast. If performance is improved, then question answered. Then look for a foam solution.

Si