Bike Carbs V Twin Webbers

Guest dellyend1

Guest dellyend1

I've done the searches and trawled through all the forum info which is quite extensive and have gleened the following :

Twin Webers

Advantages

Good Sound

NO overheating issues

lots of technical support

Dis-Advantages

Unreliable

Needs lots of TLC once tuned

Poor Fuel return

Very High Purchase costs

Bike Carbs

Advantages

Low purchase cost for carbs

Reliable and stay in tune

Very good acceleration

Good Fuel Return

Dis-advantages

Need bespoke manifold and need to get angle of carbs right

potential overheating and vapourisation

Need to set up on rolling road - cost

Limited technical support

I am wanting to fit to a standard 2.0 L pinto and onto a S7 mark 3. I have heard that the full package for bike carbs from GBS can be problomatic. Is it better to buy manifold and carbs seperately ? On the face of the pros and cons I have learnt so far I think it will be the bike carb route for me. This has all come about whilst trying to source an air cleaner for the single weber carb I have at the moment. I know I will have to cut the bonnet and only want to do this once with the final solution.

I would appreciate anybody adding anything / correcting my stated assumptions to date

With Thanks

Jeremy

Guest stuart_

hi, i think you can strike overheating from bike carbs, you need to heat them to prevent freezing, which is not hard at all, the bike carbs comes with heater hoses any way, so just plumb them in.

and some carbs the angle is does not need to 100% perfect.

stuart

bike carbs all the way ! i,m bias as that is what i use. The only thing wrong with GBS carbs imho is the jetting tell them to leave alone and let the rolling road tuner set it up(every engine is different) I use there manifold and its fine, bogg bros looks nicer but don,t think its any better performance wise and it costs a lot more.

With a standard ish pinto my mains were 1.3mm blocked air correctors the car ran really well its now had a FR cam and the jets are out to 1.45mm it still runs really well as for the overheating of the carbs its happened once it was 36deg outside and i was thrashing the nuts off the car for a while, oil at 100deg water 95deg the engine was HOT as soon as it cooled a bit it was fine again once in 2yrs !

set up right on a rolling road by a good operator and they are great, trial and error then not so great.

where are you? look at my set up if you want, It works.. loads of power and torque.. and 35mpg on a steady run..

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dellyend1

Hi All,

Having asked for advice and got really useful replies regarding Bike carbs I have looked into sourcing the manifold and carbs and have worked an approx budget of £350-£400 for the manifold, carbs, ancillaries and rolling road test. My final question is if spending this much is it really worth it ? What is the performance benefit over a standard single weber carb on my 2.0 pinto ?

I would really appreciate thoughts, opinions etc just to make sure I am spending the limited cash on the right area of the car. What I want to achieve is better / quicker acceleration in a nut shell ;)

Many Thanks

Jeremy

The differance ?? on mine it was night and day !! went from being nothing special to be being rather quick, i have done a few other things now and it is quicker still. I drive out with a friend in lotus exige before i could not keep up with him now i,m on his tail.

It was also worth nearly 4 secs a lap at barkstone sprint track.

Its all in the setup you need a dyno guy who knows classic engines and bikes to get the best from them ie torquetune near GBS a few have been to to him all with good results me included

good luck