Another Noob Saying Hi

Guest A.N.

hi all :)

the story goes like this:-

40 this november, so would like to get hold of a Robin Hood. i dont know anything about kits as i've never owned one,

BUT this is about to change. i want something that i can use at weekends and the occasional day in the week when the sun shines or is dry outside,

so it wont get a lot of mileage, but it has to be spot on.

i would love to have a go at building one, but

a:- i dont have the time with a 12 month old nipper to entertain and working full time inc saturdays &

b:- my knowledge is limited, although many years ago i used to do my own repairs, bodywork etc before all the 'lectronic gubbins governed how cars were ran.

i wont have a vast amount of money to spend, say upto 5k, so what will that get me in terms of a car?

lairy bike engined examples wouldnt go amiss, nor would something like 1600 x-flow, although i'm open to any suggestions.

what are the best ones to look out for, and what issues am i likely to come across?

many thanks in advance,

drive safely,

Al :)

Guest Stuartl

hi all :)

the story goes like this:-

40 this november, so would like to get hold of a Robin Hood. i dont know anything about kits as i've never owned one,

BUT this is about to change. i want something that i can use at weekends and the occasional day in the week when the sun shines or is dry outside,

so it wont get a lot of mileage, but it has to be spot on.

i would love to have a go at building one, but

a:- i dont have the time with a 12 month old nipper to entertain and working full time inc saturdays &

b:- my knowledge is limited, although many years ago i used to do my own repairs, bodywork etc before all the 'lectronic gubbins governed how cars were ran.

i wont have a vast amount of money to spend, say upto 5k, so what will that get me in terms of a car?

lairy bike engined examples wouldnt go amiss, nor would something like 1600 x-flow, although i'm open to any suggestions.

what are the best ones to look out for, and what issues am i likely to come across?

many thanks in advance,

drive safely,

Hi Al and welcome to Rhocar!

I have very limited knowledge compared to most of the guys on here but all I would say at the risk of repeating myself from other similar threads is be careful that your new RH is correctly registered as such. If you do by some slim chance go for a part built (unlikely I know) be aware that the IVA can be very difficult if not impossible for some older kits to pass hence the reason there are so many '90% complete kits just needing a weekend to finish' on ebay.

Where abouts are you?

Guest Jomibo

Hi welcome to the group.

I am also new to the group and to Robin Hoods.

I am sure 5 grand will get you a good car. I have just paid under 3 grand for an S7 (1994) which comes with a huge folder full of every receipt its ever had including original build manual/ kit receipt/build photos/every MOT etc. All I need to do to it is re-fabric the dash (personal preference)

I was surprised because I hadnt found a decent car for under 3500 ish. So hope that gives you an idea of what to pay.

With kit cars they wont be perfect and require tinkering and regular maintainance to keep them on the road, but thats half the fun of it.

I didnt want a project car, just something I could jump straight in to but have ended up with it in bits putting my own touches on it.

Hope to see you at a show or two in the future!

John

Guest The Modfather

Hi Al and welcome to the nutty world of RHOCaR :friends: :crazy: 8P

We are a friendly bunch, having just spent a week with 'em at Le Mans, I have found them to be the best guys you are likely to meet! We are a community, not just a forum. We arrange house visits to help and advise, which I've had already and I will be arranging another as I am doing a full rebuild including the engine change.

You WILL change things, so don't panic too much about what you buy. As already stated, check on the V5 (log book) that it is correctly registered (Robin Hood is a recognised make) and that all the numbers match. By law there should be a stamped in frame number as well as a rivited plate. Check the tax disc also states Robin Hood (if it has tax). Check engine number too, as changing it later MAY constitute a mechanics report.

5K will get you a nice car, but personally I would go for something cheaper and use the saved cash to make those "personal" changes. I paid 3K and have spent another 1.5K on mods etc. Much to the wive's annoyance :aggressive:

May I suggest that you spend some time on here scanning as much as possible to see what the regular modifications are being carried out. Buy a Hayne's manual for the sierra as well, and a bottle of wine for the missus now and then doesn't go amiss. I think everyone will confirm this one!!!!!

cheers for the replies so far guys :)

a couple more q's:-

what (generally) are the best engines for the hoody's? are an older x-flow or pinto the ones to go for, or something newer like the zetec?

what about rovers k series or t-series? i know bike engines are great for power per capacity, and the 4cyl rev superbly, but reliability?

also, how easy are the hoody's to "tinker" with? if, i decide down the line to change a few things like dash finish, or seats, or even suspension set ups, are they easily done? i'm not adverse to using a socket set or 2, so relatively straight forward stuff shouldnt be a problem.

lastly, is it adviseable to drive a few (if poss) with different engine/brake/suspension set ups to get a "feel" on what suits me better before i make my mind up, or do they drive (basically anyway) the same?

cheers again,

Guest Tim Norman

No two Hoods will be the same. They all have their own character so having a drive of one or two will give you a flavour. The engine that is in is more likely to be a pinto unless the owner has changed it for the more popular Vauxhall XE or nowadays Zetec. There are Toyota powered and the Superspecs have either the normally aspriated or turbo'd 2L lump. There are Ford V6's and a Vauxhall V6. There is also small but growing number of Rover V8's from 3.5 to 4.6L.

At the end of the day as long as you drive the car you will eventually buy they are dead easy to work on and when you join the Club you will get a list of all like minded souls in your area who will more than likely come round and point, kick tyres and generally eat all your hobnobs whilst handing out ideas and fixes on how to put your stamp on your newest family member.

What you do with it after you have had it for a while is up to you.

Just one point of advice though. Make sure it stops faster than it accelerates!

Guest shaggy

Al,

Get yourself up to the Poachers pub, just next to Sainsburys off J29 on the M6 next Thursday. There's usually 5 or 15 turn out so you'll have a good chance to see a variety of different models.

Si

after searching this site and reading up on specs etc, i've decided to go for one at the end of the year.

spec wise, i think either a pinto or a zetec. i'll try and get hold of a few to drive to get a flavour of exactly what i want :)

it will only be used on dry days (so judging what the last 3 years of summer weather have been like, 2.7 days max!!)

budget will be 5k max, so hopefully i'll get a good car for the money.

cheers all for your advice so far, ver much appreciated :) :) :)

my own opinion would be a zetec injected

a bit more work to get running right but more rewarding and reliable .

it will start first time it will tick over and if mapped correctly it will run faultlesly.

spelling prob .opps .

graham

Guest smegheadsteve

Hi mate.

I live in Eastham,but unfortunately my hood is out of action due to the rear core plug popping out,and it's taking me ages to get my engine out so can't take you for a spin(kids,work and wife get in the way of my garage time!)

Will let you know if I get it on the road this year.

In the meantime you are welcome to have a nosey at it and sit in it and dream,which is all I can do at the moment!

Steve.