Does Fitting Full Wings Make My Brick Less Aerodynamic ?!

Guest dellyend1

Guest dellyend1

Hi All,

My S7 is fitted with the cycle guards at present, but I quite like the look of the full sweeping wings. Can I ask, would the fitting of the full wings make any noticable difference to the drag of the car ? Don't want to make my brick even less aerodynamic ;)

Also where could I get a set ?

Cheers

Jeremy

Have a feeling it makes it worse and lifts the front end a bit. Probably a fair few people who have fitted cycle wings and replaced the full ones so sure someone on here will have some for offer.

hth

EDIT: Beat me too it

Edited by agent_zed

Guest peter2b2002

I've got full wings on my 2B , great in the rain most of the water gets pushed aside, steering does get a bit light at high speeds (95mph+ in France a couple of years ago) they also keep most bits road dirt out of the cockpit

peter2b

Guest The Modfather

I have full wings and I don't think that they cause too much front lift. If you keep the wings as low as possible it will be even better. The front wheels cause so much forward turbulance as they rotate, any air entering above the tyre will be disturbed. Behind the tyre is low pressure which helps.

As an advanced police driver, I don't feel that they effect the handling enough to be worried at all. Also as previously mentioned, they keep the crud out of the cockpit especially when it's lashing down.

Guest Stuartl

Jeremy, I have clamshell wings and would like to swap them for cycle wings at some point providing they can be removed without leaving too much of an obvious mark.

I like the look of seeing the wheels move as you turn the corners :)

Guest woolly

after 4 years of the clamshels which i love the look off i changed to cycle wings, and the difference is well worth it.

i was worried about the lift at speed and high drag. after 9mths of the cycle wings i would not go back. but did fit good mud flaps.

instant improvement on fuel as-well, the car is a lot more stable at 70 ish especially in to a head wind.

if you would like a pair of wings let me know.

woolly

Guest dellyend1

Cheers All, thanks for the good advice / experience.

I think I would still like to try clam shell / full wings so if anybody has a set (Blue if poss, I think my nose cone is Oxford Blue?) then please give me a shout :)

Thanks all once again

Jeremy

Guest Stuartl

Cheers All, thanks for the good advice / experience.

I think I would still like to try clam shell / full wings so if anybody has a set (Blue if poss, I think my nose cone is Oxford Blue?) then please give me a shout :)

Thanks all once again

Jeremy

Mine are blue Jeremy and would swap for your cycle wings and brackets if they are blue as well!

Mine are blue Jeremy and would swap for your cycle wings and brackets if they are blue as well!

We have a set of Westfield clam shells in black in good shape which anyone else can have for free, based in Cumbria, could drop off at Tanhill to get them in the system if that helps

atb

Mike

Guest dellyend1

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the offer, but I was planning on keeping hold of my cycle wings for a while after I make the change ovr to full wings just to be sure that the swap over is for me. Further more one of my top L shaped brackets for the cycle guard has snapped which is why I have started to go down this route.

All the best

Jeremy