Benefit Of Foam Air Filter To Webber Single Carb

Guest kennym

Guest kennym

Hi

I have a 1600 pinto in my Robin Hood Lightweight fitted with a Weber 28/30 DFTH carb. The carb only has a mesh cover and I want to fit a ITG foam filter, unfortunately this will involve cutting the bonnet.

I,ve been told this will greatly improve the preformance of the car ,at present its drinking fuel .

Apart from checking the carb set up to solve the problem is it worth going to all the bother of fitting filter and cutting bonnet.

Any thoughts !

View pictures in my Garage.

Guest Noddy006

Hi Windy

Couple of thoughts. First is thw carb that close to the bonnet? I have 2.0L Pinto with 32/36 Weber and have fitted Pipercross foam Filter without cutting the bonnet. Or, how about a remote filter in the nose and piped to the Carb. HTH Ian H

Guest robinj66

I'll be the first to agree that I'm no expert but, working on basic principles - Surely just a mesh is the best thing for a carb, purely in terms of air intake (there's almost no restriction) and a foam filter will only mean a reduction in air intake so your mixture will get stronger? (ie, more fuel per unit of air).

Seems to me the fact that your engine is drinking fuel means there is a setup problem with your carb - probably wrong though :blush: :ph34r:

Hi,

iam running a 1.6 in my 2b and was getting 40mpg on a combined run (drove to plymouth from bristol on motorway and across dartmoor) with the same carb. Ive got a homemade filter by sandwiching a standard round air filter between 2 plates of stainless.

If you are having trouble with height then there is a block of plastic(?!) that the carb sits on that i believe is to insulate the carb from the manifold. You could replace or have this cut thinner so the carb sits lower. could poss drop it by 10mm.

hth

Guest kennym

Hi Windy

Couple of thoughts. First is thw carb that close to the bonnet? I have 2.0L Pinto with 32/36 Weber and have fitted Pipercross foam Filter without cutting the bonnet. Or, how about a remote filter in the nose and piped to the Carb. HTH Ian H

Hi

Only have 45mm from carb to underside of bonnet. No room for remote filter at nose as radiator takes up space in nose cone.

Guest kennym

I'll be the first to agree that I'm no expert but, working on basic principles - Surely just a mesh is the best thing for a carb, purely in terms of air intake (there's almost no restriction) and a foam filter will only mean a reduction in air intake so your mixture will get stronger? (ie, more fuel per unit of air).

Seems to me the fact that your engine is drinking fuel means there is a setup problem with your carb - probably wrong though :blush: :ph34r:

Hi robin

Yep carb definately needs setup checked, problem with just mesh cover under the bonnet the carb is getting mainly warm air in engine bay.