Is It Me ?

Guest mower man

Guest mower man

I keep wondering why 70%of the time I put a reply or comment on a subject that the topic seems to die ?.I don't mean to be offensive or clever at all so please if I have done either let me know ,or am I being too sensitive? ragards mowerman :crazy: :pardon: :fool:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep wondering why 70%of the time I put a reply or comment on a subject that the topic seems to die ?.I don't mean to be offensive or clever at all so please if I have done either let me know ,or am I being too sensitive? ragards mowerman :crazy: :pardon: :fool:

Funny that, but i feel the same thing sometimes...

Perhaps one ?correct? answer to a query is suffucient??

I'll put my neck on the line here, but oh well, i've never been one for shying away from a problem, if there is one.

So, my opinion is: There seems to me to be a definate divide between 2B owners and Zero owners. I appreciate that with regard to technical based questions there isn't a lot of common ground between the 2 models, but the divide still seems to exhist on the informal side of here??

No malice intended in any form by my comments above, but just a feeling i have and have discussed with other (Zero, lol) owners / builders.

Soap box away now peeps, so i'll stand back and await attack...

Nick.

Guest Ian & Carole

Thats killed that one then Nick :rolleyes:

To me a kit is a kit, its a mental state of mind not what car you build / drive.

At shows we all talk cars, or so I thought, S7's Cortina based Sierra based through to the Zero.

I dont respond to many Zero Q's because I have nerer built one though, I have driven one, so my input will be wothless.

I will respond to general Q's being an ex-mechanic I feel I can offer constructive input.

Having spent 2 1/2 yeas building my 2b I can input to those Q's

I think that some threads get the correct answer straight away and thats that.

Think it's down to being more courteous; if you ask for information should you not take the trouble to thank those that reply? This then could be taken that you have some answers to try out thus wrapping up the post. (Bye the bye thanks for your post,Grass Slayer;although this must not be taken as an end) More thoughts required. :rolleyes:

As an edit to my previous post above, i'm purely referring to a divide on here, the forum, and not at the shows where i couldn't be made to feel more welcome.

Is there any mileage in the notion that it's the mask of annonimity of an internet forum as opposed to face to face banter?

Also, the divide i mention, i don't feel is a negative one, just that i (and others) sense something??

Nick

Mower man I think you are right but I beleive its the knowledge and quality of answers that close the thread. Also more owners are meeting outside of this forum face to face or email in addition to this there's a lot of technical information and build photo's available on the net.

Nick I agree with you on a few occasions I feel the dare I say it 'the cold shoulder' when I mention a GBS Zero and not a RHE 2B. Almost like how some people have made comments about a Westfield builder. I suppose its up to us as individuals to improve this after all we are all like minded people and dived into this passion of building or driving our kit cars. Wives nagging, always in the garage always skint saving up for the next modification.

Regards to all owners.

Mark

Guest mower man

The attitude gap is more prevalant between some of the newer builders, I mention that my car is mono ,pinto engined on a single carb ,used mainly for touring /cruising seems to get the 'poor old sod ' look ! from quite alot of the newer builders but when they have done afew LeMans trips +30k miles etc then they could comment , not when they don't know their a--e from their elbow ,it matters not a jot to me I'll still keep posting any thing I think could be relavant and try and help ,but a little feed back would be nice ,rant over I hopeto see you all at Stafford and poss some of you before :crazy: :crazy: :pardon: :acute: :good: regards mower man :rofl:

MowerMan - I think its you !!!! That should kill it

Only joking.

I think the forum was bit more active when there were a lot of 2b's being built and that has tailed off now and there are differing questions from Zero owners. But we all like cars and the smell of petrol. Doesn't matter if you have a zero, 2b S7, Kaig or even a modded Corsa to me. I have certainly tailed off posting mainly due to work and time but not sure there is a specific reason. Forums just ain't what they used to be. So many ways to access the internet now some just look up stuff on mobiles etc and more difficult to post long responses.

Just my tuppence worth. - Happy motoring

Hello Mr Atco, as the exception that proves the rule this hasn't finished yet! in fact it seems to have split into 2 topics. To answer your question this is a bit of a slow time of year but I do agree that occasionally someone poses a question that received a few different suggestions, some times people have worked quite hard at providing information and yet there is little response from the questioner so you don’t know if the problem still exists, or was solved by any of the answers.

On the other subject, 'us and them' I seem to remember when the first 2Bs were appearing the owners were sooo strange they started their own group up on Yahoo! (Admittedly the club site was nowhere near as good as it is today, the club was a bit? clique, and much stuff was discussed in Boyz in Hoodz so it took about 4 months to get a reply). And then later, when the brave few (lepers?) started building lightweights how weird were they! quite a few feathers were ruffled. :mellow:

Part of the problem is when you have been a member for a while you are part of the group, and when new people appear asking either questions very few if anyone knows the answer to or conversely stuff that everyman and his dog thinks is bleedin obvious then they can easily feel ostracized. It’s the stranger walking into a village pub syndrome.

It looks to me that the Zero builders are having a much easier ride on the site than owners of previous new models, perhaps because quite a few were existing Hoodies or as a group we are becoming a bit more tolerant or even mature! :drinks:

leper here

i have noticed it , that will finish the thread i am sure as i never get a reply.

i thought it was me ,

mayby it is .

dinger started the hookering thread because the forum was getting stale , but there are very few people who post on it .

so what is it ? it cant be just because the zero is easier to assemble ?

graham

a reply would be realy good !!!!!!!!!

Guest dinger

Hooker here!

It seems a slow time for all forums at this time of year, Alot of people are supping home brew in the garden or in the garage building, I agree that the zero seems to be an easier build than others but the same questions are being asked even by myself and as time goes by with more knowledge the topics are getting easier to answer,

Mower man, I dont think people are ignoring your posts just agreeing that you have hit the nail on the head, And yes, you should get some thanks for that, I have been known in the past not to thank the last person to post with the right answer and I'll make a vow to give thanks where needed in the future.

As for the divide between differnt model owners, Thats a tough one but I do see it, I dont think its intentional and hope it is not the case,

As Ian said, If its a general mechanics answer that is needed I will do my best to asnwer it but if its 2B related I could only hazard a guess and steer well clear, In itself that promotes a divide but would rather give no imfomation than to lead people up the garden path with my lack of knowledge in that area,

Change can be hard for some people whether it be a new product superceeding the origonal or the end of an era, but nothing can take away the fact that we all have something special and individual.

Hands up all the Zero owners as Ive started a yahoo group, ( only kidding peter and was good to meet my older brother on sunday) See,,,, Peter doesnt have a Zero and I still said hello to him,,,,,,,,,

Guest Ian Marr

No matter to me which 'brand' folks are - I'll even talk to a catering van :friends:

It all sounds like a subtle blend of 'Tuckman's stages of group development'

:angel: