Stainless Steel Cleaning / Polishing

Guest Stuartl

I swaer by a prodcut called 'Showroomshine' it will do paint work, gelcoat, glass and black bumper trims all in one. It is even advertised that you can use it with out washing your car first.

PS. call me old fashion I still wash the car first.

Guest Stuartl

Stuart

Sounds like you need to clean the stainless of all the marking first, then apply a polish.

Send me a PM - I may be able to help.

Many Thanks for all the info guys!

Pete, you have mail :D

Guest AWhite

I use cheap window cleaner. The cheaper the better - less streaks. Also the type of cloth you use makes a massive difference. A mate managed to get me some of the smooth cloths that are like paper towels but you can't tear them. Work a treat. I know people that wash with warm soapy water, dry it then apply some car wax (autoglym works for me) when you wipe the wax off it leaves a streak free shine. :clapping:

Andy

Guest Stuartl

This is the most talked about thread I have ever started! Thanks again for all the tips, will clean off the panels at the weekend and when the car is gleaming will post some piccys on here :)

Guest SEgan

If anyone knows where to get it let me know.

Car comes up a treat with very little elbow grease, been looking for a refil for week now.

Tom Hayden

Wilkinson

just to add my twopenneth worth :)

my motorsykle has lots of polished chrome that i like to stay shiney and streak free.

i use maguires carnauba wax, and works superbly. also have used windolene too. another one for painted bits as well as glass (lights, windows etc..) is autoglymns glass cleaner. works like windolene, but the shine stays better :)

regards, Al :)

Edited by Al. N.

I always thought you should not apply polish or wax to stainless as it is the reaction with air that forms the chomium oxide film on the steel surface which is then resistant to scratches and corrosion? Might be wrong :unknw:

i've had no issues from my chrome, nor my polished steel wheels from using the polish or the wax. infact, the water beads better from the wax.

i've not used it on a big expanse of stainless, but i do polish the cooker and cooker hood with it :) (sad i know!!!)

i have used some dedicated steel polishes in the past, but i have found them too abrasive, putting very fine scratches in the steel.