Side Lights

Guest davy h

Guest davy h

hi i am trying to get all my wires labled up before i start connecting (and i am now stuck)

so i am after some help

what i am stuck on is i have a grey wire from sierra light switch

i also have the loom from gbs and seem to have a red wire from the side lights but it comes out of the loom at the dash point not the colum

so is it meant to be at colum? isthis the right wire to be connected?

next

they is a blue/yellow wire from alternator up to the dash part of the loom but nowhere to connect to

i am using a digi dash and there seems to be no connection for that or am i missing somthing obvious

and theres more

on sierra colum i have two reds one on lights which is a switched+ve feed (30)and other on indicator permanent+ve(h30)

what colours do i connect them to

thats all for now cheers dave

Dave,

the red wire at the dash is for instrument illumination, I think there should be a red wire at the switches for side lights which will feed the fog light switch.

Blue/yellow wire should be connected to a charge warning lamp, usually a 1.2 watt bulb with the other side connected to 12v ignition supply (white wire).

Permanent feed is a light brown wire, switched feed I think is a white wire.

This is the best I can remember I've helped wire a few cars to date but I dont have all the info.

Jez

Hi Dave,

If by a Digi Dash you mean the ETB DD2, there isn't a connection for the alternator

as it measures the voltage supplied by the +12v feed and puts the light out as it registers

an increase in voltage as the alternator kicks in.

With regard to the Sierra column switch wire colours, please see the the attached file below.

HTH, :hi:

Nick.

post-3955-034711700 1280783904_thumb.jpg

If the digi dash works this way then the Sierra alternator will not work quite right, you will need to rev it up to start it working and it may stop charging at tick over. This is because it relies on the 12volts via the charge lamp to excite the field windings and get things going, if you dont want an extra bulb then you could fit a 120ohm 2 watt resister instead and hide it way.

Jez

If the digi dash works this way then the Sierra alternator will not work quite right, you will need to rev it up to start it working and it may stop charging at tick over. This is because it relies on the 12volts via the charge lamp to excite the field windings and get things going, if you dont want an extra bulb then you could fit a 120ohm 2 watt resister instead and hide it way.

Jez

Nice one Jez, i forgot to say that bit. I've simply added a bulb and hidden it behind the dash to excite the alternator

on start up and drain it on switch off. (i have a 3 connection Denso type)

Guest davy h

thanks guys that helps

how can i find out if i still need to put a charge light on when i am using a vauxhall redtop or does it not matter what engine you use

yes it is a etb dd2 that i am fitting thanks for clearing up how that works

i dont have a red wire at switchs and i dont need the red wire at dash to illuminate could i use this wire instead

cheers dave