About To Take The Zero Plunge!

Guest RPD1970

Guest RPD1970

Greetings everyone,

I've been lurking for a while and trying to decide when to place the order for the Zero kit, and more importantly what kit to buy.

This will be my first build, having done nothing like this before. I thought I was decided on the Zero Zetec kit, but after reading so many of the entires here, I'm starting to get nervous! I wanted to get the kit and donor pack from one source (not sure I'll talk the wife into having an old Sierra in the garage!). The guys a GBS have been very helpful so far and have suggested that they can supply everything needed, but I would be grateful for any advice from any of you guys who are novice builders like me.

Thanks for any advice offered, without this great site, I don't think I would even be considering the build!

Russell

Hi Russell and welcome aboard mate,

I'm currently building my first kit car (i bought the Zero plus kit) and haven't looked back since ordering it.

I bought a complete Sierra 2.0l Pinto for my Donor as i didn't fancy a Q reg that is unavoidable with an unknown

origin donor pack. The best reason for getting a complete car as opposed to a pile of parts though is you can sell on

un-needed items to reduce your initial investment, and also, you'll be surprised how many items will come in usefull

that you wouldn't get from a donor pack, including the V5 logbook.

I actually ended up £125 in profit from the original cost of the Sierra by the time i'd stripped it and sold parts on.

Not intended to be a negative toward any decision you make, but as a rough guide for cost, you can add at least another

3-4k onto your kit purchase price to get your car on the road.

The Zetec seems to be the most popular option on here, but i went for the Pinto in mine, purely for the brutal power

they give as opposed to the smoothness of a Zetec. Look carefully at the costs involved of the Zetec if your wanting

to go the Jenvey / Emerald route.

Feel free to have a nose through my build pics (Link below) to give yourself an idea of the task ahead, and

please don't see the above as negative, it's intended to be honest so you can dive in with both eyes open.

HTH, :hi:

Nick.

Guest gixerboy600

Hi Russell,

I too like Nick am in the joyfull process of building a Zero, I however have gone down the Zetec route (not actually bought the engine yet) and I bought the donor pack from GBS, couldn't be arsed with an old stripped out Sierra in bits either. I am not worried about an age related plate and don't see the stigma in a Q plate, everybody knows it is a kit car after all! I am not as far into the build as Nick but what I would say is that yes there is some fettling to ensure a good fit in some areas BUT the latest chassis on offer from GBS has improved since Nick and I collected ours. Best advice I can give is listen to Richard at GBS, have a look at build photo's of other guys on here. BUY the kit, START to build it, CONTINUE to build it, IVA it..............DRIVE the arse off it at every opportunity! You will enjoy it Russell and regardless how you start and what engine route you go down you will have a quick, head turning car for less than you might think, mine stands me at around £4K to date and I reckon total build cost will be around £9K

HTH's

Cheers

John

Guest RPD1970

Thanks guys. It's good to hear from people who have been there and are living it at the moment.

John - I understood that if i bought the donor pack plus a new Zetec (plus presumably all the other parts new when required) that the car qould qualify for a "new" age related plate when finished? Is that your understanding too, or are you planning on sourcing used parts when required? I'd be grateful for a chat sometime to see how things are going, as I am pretty certain I too will go down the Zetec route. I'm not sure I can manage the time and effort (or skill) to strip a donor car, especially after seeing the fantastic job that Nick has made of his donor car!

Great build diaries, guys, they are so useful, if a little daunting. Still, as Nick says, best to go into this with both eyes firmly open! I'm planning on visiting the guys at GBS later in the month (miles and miles away from me unfortunately!) and I'll have a huge list of questions for them no doubt!

Thanks again for the advice, I'm sure I'll be asking more daft questions soon, if that's ok?!

Russell

Russell,

I am building the Zero kit. I went down the donor vehicle route as part of the fun stripping, cleaning and painting. 10 years in the planning 4 weeks into the build, you won't find a better forum or guys for advice and free information. As already stated don't under estimate the hidden costs of buying odds and sods.

I am going to be the odd one out because my donor came with a old crossflow so in the tradition of locosts that's what I am going to use - well at least for the IVA. Then the fun starts with all the modofications you can do......

Its great fun and a fantastic experience - take the plunge.

Regards

Mark

PS haven't decide how to display my build photos yet!

Hi Russel.

Again welocome to the clan (mad house).I am also a first time builder and have gone down the Zero Zetec route using the GBS donor pack because I felt it was the best option for me. I totally agree with the comments from the other guys and you will find that there are lots helpfull and knowledgable people in this club. As to asking daft questions, don't worry, remember no question is daft if you don't know the answer. Ask away, someone will know the answer.

Three bits of advice - 1. Go to your local club meetings, they are a valuble source of support and help. I did and its one of the best moves I've made. 2. Get the kit, go with which ever route YOU feel suits you best, enjoy the build and try not to feel daunted by it. If I can build one (even though I'm only about half way through) anyone can. 3. Read and use the forum, again a valuble source of information.

The sense of achievement when you get a piece on and working i.e. diff, suspension, brakes or what ever, is great - no matter how big or small.

Good luck and enjoy.

Bob

Guest RPD1970

Thanks guys - great feedback! Much appreciated. I'm sure I'll be here with loads of daft questions as things progress.

First one! Bob, are you going to purchase all new parts and go for a new age plate? Am I right to be concerned about the Q plate issue? I'm prepared to buy new bits as required, understanding that the cost will certainly be higher.

Thanks

Russell

Thanks guys - great feedback! Much appreciated. I'm sure I'll be here with loads of daft questions as things progress.

First one! Bob, are you going to purchase all new parts and go for a new age plate? Am I right to be concerned about the Q plate issue? I'm prepared to buy new bits as required, understanding that the cost will certainly be higher.

Thanks

Russell

Russel.

All my parts are new apart from the diff and gearbox, oh and front hubs and steering column. GBS say that I should get a new reg, but if its a Q plate what the hell it only makes a difference if you want to sell the car. I don't, I just want to drive and enjoy the car. It will be running a 2 litre Zetec (new) Jenveys and Emerald ecu so should go like sh*t off a shovel - 175 bhp in a car weighing just over half a tonne. Anyway you can't see the reg plate from the drving seat.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks, have joined! Look at my new shiny yellow highlight!

Just need the shiny new car now!

Russell

Hi Russel,

good move, now next step is to get up to GBS cheque-book in hand - then let the fun begin.

One thing I've found since I started building mine is the number of peoople/neighbours who and chat, ask questions, offer help etc. I've only got a small garage so most of my building has been on the front drive(moving is easier when you get a rolling chassis) :D

Bob