Removing Viscous Fan

codo

If memory serves (It was 5 or 6 years ago) I used a cold chisel on one of the flats of the nut. I probably got the advice from this forum, or at least from chatting to other members.

Go on.... Hit it, if you break it, it will only cost you a water pump (£20ish from Halfrauds)

Nick

Guest mower man

Long punch +2lb hammer , stand at o/s front give nut a smart t-wa-ing towards n/s should move it easy ,as used in my time at a Ford main dealer [nobody could be a-s-d to find the servie tool!!! mower man :crazy: 8P :clapping:

I've got a 32mm spanner that's been thinned down so it fits between the Viscous and pump drive flange.

Your welcome to borrow it as long as you promise to post it me back! :friends:

Lent a pair of slim spring compressors out on here... NOT had them back!! and can't remember who borrowed them! Doh!

PM me your address if you want to borrow it mate.

HTH, :hi:

Nick.

Guest pwlcarz

Needed to remove my viscous fan whilst getting the head skimmed.

wouldn't move with the correct spanner and tapping it with a hammer.

Undid the 4 bolts that hold the cowl/fan belt pulley on.

Stuck a 5 or 6mm allen key through the bolt hole from the back and jammed the key against the water pump casing.

Gave the spanner a good belt.........

then went out to buy a new water pump!

Casting broke off around the screw hole!!!

Dooooh!!

I did mine last week using an old double ended bike spanner, one of those cheap stamped out one that come with kids bikes. I put a plier type oil filter remover on the pulley squeezed it tight with a quick camp and jammed it under left side of engine bay. I then used a lone bar as a drift on the spanner clockwise and it just started to turn as the spanner started to give. it then unscrewed by hand. (all working from front of engine)