Zero

Guest Matt_wood

Guest Matt_wood

Hey all, thought I would make my first post on the forum. On my phone so it won't be long.

Am in the process of researching kit cars it's been in the back of my mind for years now but have decided that I would start bringing it more to the front. After a few days of looking round the net I found the gbm website and the zero. I was hooked. However after loads more reading found Several post about poor quality etc and felt really disheartened. So I decided to come on here and get a good bias opinions from people that own them.

I have basic knowledge of car mechanics (servicing, replacing brakes and suspension) and no experience of kit building so realise that this will be a good challenge.

Guest gixerboy600

Hi Matt,

A good starting point is to look at as many build portfolios as you can, then talk to a few people (pm me and I will give you my number, feel free to call me for a chat). Have you paid GBS a visit?? I recommend you do!! Budget is another factor, how much do you think you can afford?? If it is no holds barred, consider the Caterham or Westie, if total cost might be an issue then the Zero may well be a really good fit. I will say at this point that I have in the past bought a Dax Rush and had more issues with that than I with the Zero and the Rush cost a LOT more!!!!!

Matt don't beleive all you hear, talk to GBS and think before you drill or cut and you will be fine!!!!

Where are you in the world?? there may well be a Zero being built right under you nose!!!

HTH'S

Cheers

John

P.S Build pics link is attached

Hi,

I agree totally with John, his advise is spot on. I was in the same position as you regarding experience - general servicing skills but never built a kit before. I went up to GBS had a chat and a look round (things are even better now since Richard took over the reigns).I have no regrets at all about buying a Zero. Sure you have to use your initative quite often (all part of the fun of the build), but there is always help and support from GBS, this club's forum and you local area club. You will find everyone helpful and remember the most important thing - there is no such thing as a daft question, we have all asked them so don't feel shy about asking for advise.

Bobh

Matt,

My opinion - the Zero is great, yes there are a few teething/annoying problems however ask a question on this site and someone will answer your question. Trust me we have all asked something we have thought is daft. Any difficult issues offer tea and biscuits and someone will even visit your garage to help.

Great forum support and GBS are always helpful. Try to visit the Stafford kitcar show in September.

Best of luck.

Regards

Mark

Guest dinger

Hi Matt,

Have to agree with the above comments and dont read too much into poor quality, Alot of the issues were with the early cars and have all been ironed out, I've enjoyed the whole build of mine, yes,,, there has been some head scratching but thats what it is all about, If you like a challenge then its all more rewarding once completed,

I planned on a 2 year build and have been surprised how fast things have come along, Value for money is an understatement when you compare it to a caterham and westfeild as the end results are what you have put into the build and the time taken over the details which makes the Zero just as good as the others,

As everyone has said, give GBS a call and Richard will go through everything with you, He's not a very good salesmen so sometimes can give you an honest opinion, Lol. Unlike some of the others that just want to sell you a kit that doesnt suit your needs and skill level, Hence the amount of part builds on ebay from other manufactures,

If you have the time then pop along to the Stafford kit car show, You will be able to see some completed Zero's and GBS should have a stand there.

Hope that helps

Dave

Guest Matt_wood

Hey guys thanks for all your quick replies, this is exactly what I was after. Gixer I did consider a westie they have a complete kit on special at the min but it sort of seemed like learning to drive In a lambo.

Can anyone recommend any build diaries that are on website not blogs (blocked at work). Been reading steveshood about his project 2b. Been a good read even though it was for a different car it was good to see what sort of things crop up.

I will try and get to a few kit car shows before I commit to anything. I live in Notts so it's going to be easy for me to pop into gbs.

One question what model zero did people go for. Is it worth going for the superspec or better to just source extra item like the weather gear once your at that point of the build?

Hi Matt, welcome to the madhouse mate. I'm on the Notts/Derbys border if you want a nose around my build. It's about 3/4 finished now, so should give you a good insight into what lies ahead.

It always makes me smile when i read bad things about RH/GBS.... A kit is built by the owner, so as such it's the owner who creates the end result.

I have 100's of build pics (link below), feel free to have a browse through them.

HTH,

Nick.

Guest gixerboy600

One question what model zero did people go for. Is it worth going for the superspec or better to just source extra item like the weather gear once your at that point of the build?

Hi Matt,

There aren't really any different models, the different kits merely indicate how much of the whole kit you are buying. The only real differences are some options on rear wings, the front cycle wings and whether you go pinto or zetec on engine (don't ask which is better as that is very much personal opinion).

To mirror Nick's offer, I am building my Zero just outside Grantham and you are more than welcome to call over for a coffee and a butchers.

Cheers

John (link to build pic's below)

Hi, I called in to see Richard at GBS on Tuesday and saw the new Zero demo. It's well on it's way to being finished, with lots of little improvements over the original. The new dash looks good too.

Richard seems to be trying to make the Kits easier to build. (shame I bought my kit 6 years ago)

Nick

Guest Sharky

Hi Matt

I agree with all of the above - the main joy for me has been the sense of achievement when a difficult bit comes out good.

As for quality of the kit in general - ask Richard about the guy who took his £28k Westie back to the factory, got his money back and then asked GBS to build him a top spec Zero which came with a great big wad of cash back for the money!!

What I would share with you though is that a random bloke stopped by my garage two weeks ago and spent half an hour shooting sh*t and generally having a butchers and making some nice approving comments. Then at the end, he says that he thinks it's a lot better than he ever remembered Robin Hoods being in the past. He was very impressed by what he saw and he thought a lot of people with similar (but very expensive) cars would be upset when I get my Zero on the road around these parts - where am I going with this? He then told me he is a chief engineer for a Caterham race team and runs 8 cars in National championships .... praise indeed for the humble Zero me thinks! :drinks:

Welcome to the mad house!

Regards

Sharky

Guest gixerboy600

Hi Matt

I agree with all of the above - the main joy for me has been the sense of achievement when a difficult bit comes out good.

As for quality of the kit in general - ask Richard about the guy who took his £28k Westie back to the factory, got his money back and then asked GBS to build him a top spec Zero which came with a great big wad of cash back for the money!!

What I would share with you though is that a random bloke stopped by my garage two weeks ago and spent half an hour shooting sh*t and generally having a butchers and making some nice approving comments. Then at the end, he says that he thinks it's a lot better than he ever remembered Robin Hoods being in the past. He was very impressed by what he saw and he thought a lot of people with similar (but very expensive) cars would be upset when I get my Zero on the road around these parts - where am I going with this? He then told me he is a chief engineer for a Caterham race team and runs 8 cars in National championships .... praise indeed for the humble Zero me thinks! :drinks:

Welcome to the mad house!

Regards

Sharky

Now then Sharky,

Does it get any better?????

Nick eat you heart out PSML!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

Cheers

John

Guest oddsocks

Hi matt,welcome to the mad house(have somebody already used that one?) anyway as the rest have said-just go for it!

It will drive you mad someday and you will think what have i got myself into but with these boys help-shaft,gixerboy,longborder and a good few others(sorry if i havent mentioned you but i still love you :friends: )

i wouldnt have got as far as i have.

Everyone helps everyone on here and at the end of it you've built your own car!!! Not many can say that.

And its a good larf meetin up with them all at the shows.

So just get up to GBS and put your order in for a zetec zero(you know they are the best nick- :rofl: !) and ask as many questions as you can think of. Most of us have asked them one time or another so dont worry about it.

And look at peoples builds, these quite a few of us now which might help you.

All the best

Jamie

Guest Matt_wood

Again thanks again for all the useful information. Slightly bad terminology fromme there I meant spec not model. What have people gone for. At the min I'm sort of thinking superspec but with the zetec engine. But really until I go and see the car I haven't really got the knowledge to make a decision.

Thanks shaft and gixer would be good to see your zeros and have a chat think I'll try and make it to the GBS first and have a chat with them.