Do These Actually Work?

Guest Logix_00

Guest Logix_00
Guest dellyend1

I've used a similar branded product ending in 'Cat' on series land rovers and a Triumph 6 and 4. I then used to run unleaded all of the time and had no problem what so ever and got better fuel economy. I am unsure because of the low mileage whether it was the lead memory on the valves or the product working but either way had good experience and liked the historical connection with low grade fuel mitigation on WWII Hurricanes on the Eastern front being used by the Russians !!

Guest steveyb

Never used them and personally I'd be very sceptical.

A lot of leaded engines would probably run ok for quite some time on unleaded anyway (as long as they weren't thrashed).

But bits of tin to replace the lead in leaded fuel in a car that might be given the welly now and then????

I'd rather stick to well known unleaded additives like Castrol or Miller's.

Guest Stuartl

As Stevey B says, any engine will run ok on unleaded for a period of time before valve seat recession takes it's toll. That period of time is dependant on the way the car is driven and naturally the mileage covered. The idea of chucking what is basically a load of old fishing weights in a fishnet stocking into your fuel tank is something that has been debated in the classic car scene since the day when leaded fuel stopped being sold and chaps with Austin 7's thought their driving days were over. It doesn't seem to raise much interest these days so I guess the fears were unfounded, the fishing weights worked or they just got the exhaust valve seats hardened. I used to use a Castrol additive that was in a small plastic tube with a twist off top in my old xflow engined Sylva Striker and one of those with each full tank saw me ok.

In saying that, the way I used to wreck engines in that car meant that they never saw more than a couple of thousand miles before being replaced anyway so who knows if the additive did any good but as has been said previously, I would trust brands such as Castrol over something that would feature in an 'Innovations' type booklet!

How can they? Lead and tin can be dangled in petrol for a year and you won't be able to chemically detect any dissolving in the petrol and the pellets will not gradually disappear. Or does the seller imagine some sort of homoeopathic effect. Much better to line the molecules up with a magnet round the fuel lines and fit a propeller extractor in the exhaust tip.

Nigel

I saw a guy selling these at one of the shows last year and looked it up on the internet, someone got done by trading standard for making the same claims using ww2 as examples. not saying it's this guy but the same storey seems to be used on all the 'rogue' ads I saw.