Popping Exhaust

Guest scudoman

Guest zoomzoom

I think we have a new winner of The ''Having a stropp and throwing the toys award 2010?''

Would the winner please stand up, ooh he's left..............

Never mind we can hold the award in lieu of a return or am I being uneducated and unable to understand the science?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mcramsay

This has turned into an argument about who knows more theory than the other! And it's not needed really! As we all know the air/fuel system on each engine meters the petrol it uses in proportion to the amount of air that passed through the carb/ throttle body. This is why we use joints, sealants and gaskets to stop un metered quantities of air getting in and upsetting the mixture. So if your exhaust is forcing gasses in or out we are going out side the design of the closed system and thus reducing efficiency and performance. The simple answer is fix any leaks on the exhaust and if it still pops then look for the next potential cause. It could be 20 different reasons.

Carbs They Suck

Engine Goes Bang

Exhaust Goes Pop

Smiles Begin & Do Not Stop

Wheels Spin & Tyres Wear

So What Is Left

I Do Not Care

But Drive Your Hood

As Fast As You Dare

Dont Sit Inside Typing

Trying Not to Swear

Enjoy Yourselves

As Life Is To Short

All Above Is Only A Thought

Guest mcramsay

im not adding to it by adding "how i think it works" im just saying it seems that people are getting into really deep technical arguments when theres no need. nothing i said in my last post was overly technical, nor did i quote equations and try to work out pressures within the exhaust system. if your car woudlnt start you wouldnt start fault finding by taking the head off straight away would you? so why get into a massive argument about wether an exhaust sucks in or blows out gas on over run? look at the easy options first if you think you have a leak in the exhaust system and you are getting popping then fix the air leak . if you still get popping then it must be another cause. Sure additional air going into or out the exahust is more than likely an additional contributing factor.

and Dinger even though im trying to take your response in the nicest way possible. theres no difference to "how i think it works" and how an engine actually works. or are you trying to tell me that carbs/throttle bodies do not meter fuel in proportion to the amount of air that goes through them? and that its ok to suck air in through a bad joint after the carb and get lean/rich burn in the cylinder? and then to blow gasses out a bad exhaust joint/ or suck extra air in.

all i tried to do in my last post was get some perspective back on the post, by explaining in laymans terms the basics of the fuel/air system. and if im talking rubbish please let me know.

Guest dinger

Calm down Mcramsey,

I was just pointing out that you said all this argueing was not needed and then followed with an explanation of how it works, Forgive me for pointing out the obvious.

I'm not trying to tell you anything, and dont remember saying anything to that fact, Hold on,

"Or can we just agree that the popping is unburnt fuel exploding in the exhaust exagerated by excess oqygen from a hole in the exhaust?"

This was meant be an end to a debate which was getting way out of hand, and to be honest, the origonal poster knows nothing more than the above due to everyone confusing him with too much technical jargon, and then a "who knows best" compitition.

Zoom Zoom took it in the manner it was meant, other may not have the same sense of humour, Appologies to those.

You say you wanted to put some perspective back in the post, but adding to the confusion wont help,

Guest Ian & Carole

Carbs They Suck

Engine Goes Bang

Exhaust Goes Pop

Wheels Spin & Tyres Wear

So What Is Left

I Do Not Care

But Drive Your Hood

As Fast As You Dare

Dont Sit Inside Typing

Trying Not to Swear

Enjoy Yourselves

As Life Is To Short

.....and that sums it up, time to grow up, if it pops so what??, build the dam thing, drive the dam thing and enjoy it ........

time we all moved on and share a drink across the BBQ at Stafford.

Guest scudoman

In coming take cover,,,,, wait for it :aggressive:

So to put it in a "nut shell"......The popping is caused by air being sucked in through a hole or bad joint and doesn't do much harm to the engine........Thanks lads that all I wanted to know. :drinks: :drinks:

Tony

Ps. Thats a lot of posting for a simple question Ha...Ha......

Guest mower man

Carbs They Suck

Engine Goes Bang

Exhaust Goes Pop

Wheels Spin & Tyres Wear

So What Is Left

I Do Not Care

But Drive Your Hood

As Fast As You Dare

Dont Sit Inside Typing

Trying Not to Swear

Enjoy Yourselves

As Life Is To Short

Well said Mikae I really like that , lets all loosen up a bit and enjoy what we have :clapping: :yahoo: mowerman

Guest zoomzoom

Always thought Baxter was the brains of your outfit.

Sorry but where is your science?

I use this simple equation.................. M + G X5 = 89IQ

B + G X5 = 101IQ

S + W X5 = 170IQ

Now the values are M = Me

B = Baxter

S = Spencer

G = Guinness

W = Water... (Spencer doesnt drink)

So we can see that the amount of guinness applied to each subject has an inverse effect on the IQ of each.

So infact Spencer is the brains of this outfit.