Popping Exhaust

Guest scudoman

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Modfather

Can I just say, without being shot, as I don't believe that it has already been said, and I apologise if it has already been said, but there is a blooming great big hole at the end of the exhaust! If the gas coming out does not completely fill the pipe, ie at the end of the main surge of exhaust gas, and that the air pressure outside is enough to push back inside the pipe when the exhaust pressure is low enough, then surely the pipe will suck in the air due to valve movement from the remaining exhaust valves opening, and thereby cause any unburnt fuel to be ignited and cause the pop?

I may very well be wrong, as I'm no scientist, nor did I do physics. I dont really care, I'm just offering an opinion to the umpteen others. It sounds good enough to me! Mine pops and I like it, I can't be asssed what really causes it. I also like a thread like this as there are just as many theories as there are people posting. we all have our own idea.

I don't think Sir Chris was being rude either, but it may be I that has taken it the wrong way?

we need more of these threads, it get's everyone involved and the banter comes out naturally, great fun!!!!!

Guest smartfazer

we need more of these threads, it get's everyone involved and the banter comes out naturally, great fun!!!!!

I agree Daz, great fun :crazy:

I'm thinking of starting the "Not the popping exhaust thread" thread. 8P ;) :D :p :D

Guest The Modfather

Dinger, it is not so much the spelling, more the grammar. It is either can't (with an apostrophe) or cannot. :lol:

However, this is you, the person, so you spell how you want to!

Guest dinger

Dinger, it is not so much the spelling, more the grammar. It is either can't (with an apostrophe) or cannot. :lol:

However, this is you, the person, so you spell how you want to!

One gives up, you and I may fall out if one cares, lol :friends:

Graham,,,, I think I may wieght test that rope before you use it,, Ring maria in a week for the rope,,,,

We seem to have gone a little off topic,, can we get back to why we get pops out of the exhaust?

Guest The Modfather

One gives up, you and I may fall out if one cares, lol :friends:

Hopefully not.

So, what does make it pop?

Taxi for one please...............quick

P.S. did someone mention anal? :shok: :shok: :shok:

Guest Botbuilder

:excl: Here we go firing squad at the ready!

Daz, the temperaure at the end of the exhaust system where the the big hole is, is much lower and not hot enough to ignite any unburnt fuel. If your motor revs like a F1 or a MotoGP bike or if it's seriously overfueling on the overun then you can expect massive flames out of the end of the exhaust, just like on telly.

A few tuning articles I have read actually encourage popping and banging an the overun.

Can I please have a blindfold before I'm shot? :vava: =@ :hi: