Windscreen Frame Assembly

Guest Rich

Can anyone out there offer any advice please, I'm struggling with the windscreen assemble its on a 3a.

It concerns the part where you have to drill trough the top part of the frame missing the glass and then through the bottom and secure the 2 pieces together with a self tapper, I have managed to drill through without smashing the screen.(although there was a grinding noise as the drill brushed glass !!),...phew......but the angle (approx 45 degrees) means that there is no way ,( that I can see) of counter sinking the head of the screw so that it is flush and sva Friendly, there just isn't enough material in the frame, so far I have only done one side but the other side looks as though the angle of drilling will have to be the same......any ideas anyone ?

Thanks in advance fellas.....and lasses

OK I've just realised how to do it.....to long on my own in the garage I think!!!!!......I'll change my question.....any suggestions on how to disguise an unwanted hole in the windscreen frame........arrgghhhhhh....am I allowed to swear on here ? :(

I really have spent to much time on my own in the garage........the wrong hole is covered by the pillar that attaches the frame to the car isn't it..........really sorry folks....I'll go and hide in a corner somewhere and wollow in my own stupidity.......does everyone have moments like this ? :unsure:

Guest Angel Boy

:lol:

Glad we could be of assistance ;)

Yes we've all been there. I filled the head of the screw before releasing that the thing is covered by the pillar. Took ages as I didn't want to mark the frame.

Keep with it.

Andy

Yes we all have those moments, but at least it hasn't cost you.

Whilst you're doing the screen, why don't you strengthen it all up by welding a couple of strips of flat bar, about ½" wide on the inside of each piller, so that the frame fits into a "channel" when the weld is dressed up and painted they look right and are much stronger.

You can just see that my frame is inside a "channel"

post-5-1046459993.jpg

Also on the subject of windscreens, be careful when retro-fitting a hood. I managed to shatter one screen by screwing a self-tapper too far into the frame.

OldGitPete, I still owe you a screen. The shows start up again soon so I should be able to get you one. I'll contact you nearer the time, when I know which ones I am going to.

Daz

Thanks for the support and info fellas.......I'm still battling with this flippin screen I've just discovered the frame and glass are different shapes but after a bit of tweaking its coming together OK.

There should be a section especially for me on this board called self help so I can waffle on answering my own questions!!

Rich

well back to tweaking the frame.........now where did I put that big hammer ?? :unsure:

Guest Petemate

Hi Daz

I've only just got around to looking at all the new site. Thanks for mentioning the screen - no worries, no hurries. I'm currently nearly outof action due to me leg, op date 23rd. Stafford no-no, but if I recover OK, probably Stoneleigh.

See ya (all) sometime

Pete(Oldgit) ;)

Hi Pete.

I hope the leg op goes according to the supplied video................

Be sure to use plenty of angle grinder, and self tappers. Do not fix anything permanently,to begin with, and where it doesn't fit....put plenty of sikaflex in !

A large hammer is essential, and if you get stuck ring the supplier for advice.

Cover all internal protrusions, and don't throw anything away, you may have a smart idea of where to use it later on ! ! !

Well you are doing it yourself aren't you ?

Good luck mate, tell us how it goes.

John. :) :)

Guest Petemate

Hi John!!!

I liked the advice, and believe me if I could have done it myself, I would have!!

Despite the deterioration, I'll probably be at the meet on Wed. If you are coming up, and want to go straight there, just go via Abingdon from the roundabout at the M & P motorbike accessory shop. Go through Abingdon, and over the A34 interchange. The first turn on the right takes you to Gozzards Ford. Maybe see you there.

Regards,

Pete(Oldgit) B)