Relays And Fuses

Guest Sharky

Hi All,

Well I have been doing my nut this last weekend trying to work out what I need with regard to relays and fuses etc. :unknw:

I have the GBS loom with a 10 position fuse box (positions 2 to 9 are used) and three relay positions. The trouble is, there were no fuses fitted, no relays and no identification of what I need to attach to where. I have consulted the manual and I think the wiring diagrams were done either by my grand daughter or Pablo Picasso! :lol:

So, the fuses I can probably work out but it's relays I am a bit confused by - just three? What has everyone else done? I had a troll through the web on (ahemm) Westfield World and other kit build sites and picked up some ideas, namely using two (five bladed - with 87a position) relays for head light switching from low to main beam, but with probably a requirement for relays for the Headlights (x2), Radiator Fan, Horn, Heater (don't ask!), High Pressure Fuel Pump, Windscreen Wipers, Flasher unit(s) (two?) and an ignition relay too, I get that to over ten?!

Any help and access to some nice diagrams would be a great help before I go and spend a fortune at AES/Maplins/RS/etc etc!

Good news is that the ECU flying lead for the Emerald (although time consuming) is now complete!

Looking forward to the answers and discussion and expecting Longboarder Nigel to be very helpful as ever :hi: , Larry Dinger to say "Get a scrap Sierra one and chop it" and Nick the Shaft to just rip the p**s out of me 8)

sorry got my Dingers and Knock on's all mixed up there!! :crazy:

Stood by ..... B)

Sharky

Edited by Sharky

Guest coops222

hiya sharky,

i had the same problem... turned out two on the left were relays.. one high beam other dipped and third one was the flasher relay.

if you want others for fan/horn ect you have to add them. also as i found out you need a differant flasher unit if you are using led indicators.

my loom was also from gbs..

hope this helps..

Jim, i'm gutted mate......... I'm Mr Helpfull!! pmsl :spiteful:

I have a full written list on all the loom, wires, fuses, relays etc for the GBS loom that i did in mine.

I'll collate it all together for you and transfer it to the computer and then email it on to youmif it helps.

It shows all the connections and even what colour to connect too on the Sierra stalks.

Let me know mate and i'll sort it for you. :air_kiss:

Best Regards my friend and hope i have been truly helpfull.

Nick the Shaft.

P.s.... where's the picture of your grill then?? get it sorted dude!! i'm looking forward too it!

P.P.s... Can't believe you're letting some wiring worry you, ya slack git!! :spiteful: :friends:

Cheers Coops,

Thanks for your comment, I had more or less guessed that would probably be the case, but as expected there are always the nice sensible ones like your good self, who are kind and polite and offer assistance, then there's Shaft! :spiteful:

So, it looks like I will be getting myself a couple of relay boxes as I am none too keen on feeding off the Battery direct "alles uber der platz" and want to keep my system losses to a minimum, so my good friend up in Derbyshire - hop to, put the brew down and get that info uploaded and PM me with it sharp-ish!! :clapping:

These relay boxes might be worth a look:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/relays/sockets.php

I will let you all know how I get on!

Sharky

Hi Jim,

Gathered some info for you Jim from the notes i made as my mate (read... not me!) wired up the Zero.

The fuse box is:

1; Spare

2; White ignition live to column switches, brake light switch and fuel pump feed

3; Dipped beam

4; Main beam

5; Reverse light, wipers

6; Sidelights

7; Permanent live to column switches

8; 12v feed for power point (Sat nav etc)

9; Fan

The relays as supplied are:

1) Dipped beam. The Blue/Red wires are to the light units, the Black/Orange wires are to the column switch and connect to the Sierra wiring colour Brown/White which is pin 56B

2) Main beam. The Blue/white wires are to the light units, the White/Orange wires are to the column switch and connect to the Sierra wiring colour Brown/Yellow which is pin 56A

3) Flasher relay(only 3 wires in this one). The Green/Yellow wire connects to the Hazard switch via the Sierra wiring colour Black/White which is

pin 49A.

The Green wire connects to the Hazard switch via the Sierra wiring colour Black/Red which is

pin 49.

The tails on the loom which connect to the respective components are:

Red Front side lights and rear lights.

Blue/White Main beam

Blue/Red Dipped beam

Green/Black Nearside indicators

Black/Green Offside indicators

Light Green Reverse light

Blue/Red Fog light

Grey Fuel sender +12v

White Brake light switch +12v & Fuel pump +12v

Brown/Black Brake lights (from switch at the rear)

Black/Yellow Handbrake & Low fluid warning light +12v

Red/White Horn

Light Brown Speedo sensor (2 off in a pair)

The basic engine connections are:

White/Red Starter motor exciter (solenoid)

Yellow Oil warning light

Orange Water temperature sender +12V

Yellow/Blue Alternator charge light

White/Orange Rev counter / Tacho pick up (usually coil neg)

The remaining Sierra column connections are:

(The first colours are the Zero wires and the second are the tails that are on the column switches)

Black connects to the brown (Earth)

White/Orange connects to Brown/Yellow (H/Beam relay. Pin 56A)

Orange/Black band connects to Brown/White (Dipped beam relay. Pin 56B)

Green/Red connects to Black/White (LH indicator. Pin L)

Black/Green connects to Black/Green (RH indicator. pin R)

White connects to Black (ignition live for indicators. Pin 54)

Brown connects to Red (Permanent live for Hazards. Pin H30)

Red connects to Red (Sidelight feed. Pin 30)

All blacks are earths.

HTH Jim,

Nick.

Guest lucavigg

Hi Jim,

Gathered some info for you Jim from the notes i made as my mate (read... not me!) wired up the Zero.

Nick.

Thanks Nick, You've just condensed two weekends of labelling, tracing and continuity testing followed by many hours of head scratching into a single post.

I'm grateful.

Luca

Nick,

I don't care what others might be saying about you, I think you are OK! 8)

Cheers fella - that helps a lot, now I probably just have to add some extras for my Zetec . . . . ECU, Fan relay, HP pump etc, but that's a grand list mate :D

Catch ya later.

Sharky

I don't care what others might be saying about you, I think you are OK! 8)

Sharky

Funnily enough.... neither do i mate!! pmsl

People can make what ever opinion they like about somebody else.... but does it have any effect on their Mortgage

payments?...... No!! ......So they're opinions become irrelavent! :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest steve8274

hi all

i have given up on using sierra wiring loom. made a start but taking ages and i still have far too much wire. decided on the gbs one.

what else do i need to buy? ie relays and relays boxes? where is best place to get them

Nicks wiring advice swung it for me

as you may have gathered, im not the most competent at electrickery!

thanks in advance

steve

• 2 weeks later...

Jim, i'm gutted mate......... I'm Mr Helpfull!! pmsl :spiteful:

I have a full written list on all the loom, wires, fuses, relays etc for the GBS loom that i did in mine.

I'll collate it all together for you and transfer it to the computer and then email it on to youmif it helps.

It shows all the connections and even what colour to connect too on the Sierra stalks.

Let me know mate and i'll sort it for you. :air_kiss:

Best Regards my friend and hope i have been truly helpfull.

Nick the Shaft.

P.s.... where's the picture of your grill then?? get it sorted dude!! i'm looking forward too it!

P.P.s... Can't believe you're letting some wiring worry you, ya slack git!! :spiteful: :friends:

Hi shaft would it be possible to send me your wirinf info as I am also stuggling.

cheers Stewart

Hi Stewart,

I posted it on here mate, look above to post #5. The literature i have at home is just scribbled

notes i made as a friend wired it up for me (i helped of course :blush: )

Regards,

Nick.

Guest marsbar

Hi Sharky most likely to late but have you seen this, seems simple.

The Heart of a custom loom for your car. Vehicle wiring doesn't get a lot easier than this.

The difficult bit is already done for you. Correct rating fuses on all circuits. Indicator and Hazard flasher relays. Horn relay. Fan relay. Pre-drilled aluminium mounting plate. Easy to follow instructions and diagrams. Just mount the module under your dash or in your engine bay and run the correct size cables from your ancillaries and switches to the unit's screw terminals. DIY wiring doesn’t get simpler than this. Mounting plate dimensions: 145mm (5¼") x 145mm (5 ¾") Height 75mm (3").

12 CIRCUIT WIRING MODULE #WRMOD

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/cbs-wiring-module-wrmod-1185-p.asp#

Just looks so neat.