Gbs Alternator And Bracketing

Guest lucavigg

Guest lucavigg

Can some kind sole who has the GBS alternator kit for the Zetec, tell me how the brackets go together. GBS have kindly sent me pics of it in situ, but I still can't work it out.

Thanks

Luca

Edited by Luca V

Hi Luca

The alternator sits on the induction side.

The small 'tee' shaped bracket fits to the top lug of the alternator and the inlet manifold bolts - it's not a perfect fit, so you might need to get the drill and files out!

The flat plate with two holes is a spacer and goes under the lower alternator bracket which is the one with the welded web - one bolt into the front crank casing and two bolts through the spacer and into the side of the main block - orientate so that the lower lug of the alternator sits in the box shape in the bracket and a bolt can go through front then the lug then back of bracket web. You need a stack of washers to align this lot and make it solid.

The banana shaped and slotted bracket is for the idler pulley and fits on the exhaust side - idler fits in the slot facing forwards so you can adjust tension on the belt. The bend goes rear and downwards and a long bolt is used to fix it to the engine block. I used a spare Nylaspa spacer section cut to size to make this a bit stronger.

Oh and the rubber belt kind of weaves its merry way around all of the pulleys! Lol :D

In true hoody fashion, nuts, bolts, washers, drills, files and a lot of patience will get you to a point where this just about goes together!

If you get really stuck PM me and I will see if I can email some pics to you, not got the hang of putting pics onto the forum .... stands by for Shaft to jump in with p**s take ..

If it's any consolation this Krypton factor job took me half a day to work out - but then again I am not a proper engineer! :D

Good luck

Sharky

Guest lucavigg

If you get really stuck PM me and I will see if I can email some pics to you, not got the hang of putting pics onto the forum .... stands by for Shaft to jump in with p**s take ..

If it's any consolation this Krypton factor job took me half a day to work out - but then again I am not a proper engineer! :D

Good luck

Sharky

Thanks Sharky, I think I've got it. I'll be out there tomorrow to test fit and PM you if I run into probs.

Thanks again.

Guest lucavigg

Finally managed to get out there and test fit everything. I see what you mean by spacers and re-drilling. It all looks good now though, so It's all coming apart for painting.

By the way, how did you get the required tension on the fan belt from adjusting the idler pulley? And what is the correct tension?

Luca