Guest Teamslug

Guest Teamslug

Hi there,

Just registered and thought i'd say hello.Just on the cusp of buying a car to sprint/hill climb. Not sure which way to jump yet. I pretty sure i have the ability to build a kit car. I have narrowed it down to a zero or a westfield...building the zero is an option but would have to buy a build/used westy as my budget is gonna be about 9k. What do you guys think?. Why is a hoody so much cheaper than a westy?.I'll be going to the show on stafford on sunday so i'll be picking your brains there too!!!Thanks in advance. Keith

Guest gixerboy600

Hi and welcome along!!!

Zero or Westie?????

Gonna get alot more Zero for £9K, why cheaper?? smaller company, more focussed, lower overheads, family run, etc.

For £9k you should be able to build a 2.0ltr Zetec on TB's putting out around 175BHP!!!

Bloody quick and a bit more unique than your average Westie!

GBS are going to be at Stafford, hunt Richard out and tell him what you are looking to achieve and he will honestly advise you of what is possible!!!

Have a look at some of the guys build photos as well, Shaft's are good, mine are on the link below and then Yanto's. Mine stands me at £4K so far and I realistically estimate a total build cost between £8K - £8.5K

Cheers and good luck

John

Hi Keith,

In some part you have answered your own question by comaparing the zero to the westfield,,

you would get alot of westfield for that kind of money, but not to your spec, you'd end up changing it, If you built the zero then you could build to your own spec well within that budget, and know in youtr heart that it was you that built a car, (alot of satisfaction in that)

I was in a similar postion to you, do I build or do I buy, once seeing the zero it was a no brainer.

Its a good quality build with very few hurdles, but dont expect none,(depending on spec)

The Zero has not yet been proved on track but watch this space.

Dave

Hi there,

Just registered and thought i'd say hello.Just on the cusp of buying a car to sprint/hill climb. Not sure which way to jump yet. I pretty sure i have the ability to build a kit car. I have narrowed it down to a zero or a westfield...building the zero is an option but would have to buy a build/used westy as my budget is gonna be about 9k. What do you guys think?. Why is a hoody so much cheaper than a westy?.I'll be going to the show on stafford on sunday so i'll be picking your brains there too!!!Thanks in advance. Keith

Hi Keith,

To answer your question regarding the Zero versus a Westfield, my opinion is that a Zero is built using time, patience, skill and guidance from the guys and gals on here, where as a Westfield is built basically using your wallet.

The end result with both is a car that you'll be proud of, you can drive quickly on the road or very quickly on a track, will turn peoples heads and just simply.... make you smile. The difference.... Price!

HTH,

Nick.

Hi Keith,

To answer your question regarding the Zero versus a Westfield, my opinion is that a Zero is built using time, patience, skill and guidance from the guys and gals on here, where as a Westfield is built basically using your wallet.

The end result with both is a car that you'll be proud of, you can drive quickly on the road or very quickly on a track, will turn peoples heads and just simply.... make you smile. The difference.... Price!

HTH,

Nick.

I have found that with Westies and Caterhams the owners are so snobbish its really pathetic!

Two examples......................

I did a Lands End to John O Groats run with my brother in his Caterham and 11 other cars took part. Every night at each hotel all they had to talk about was how much money they had spent on their cars. All but one owner had no mechanical knowledge as they felt that working on the car was beneath them and just shelled out cash then told everyone within earshot how much they had spent.

Second example, my 14 year old was doing his paper round when he saw a man with a '7' style kit car. "is that a Robin Hood?" he asked politely. "God no," came the reply, "Robin Hoods are made from scaffold tubes, this is a Westfield"

Keith,

Same answers as above don't under estimate the fun, pain and satisfaction of building your own Zero to you spec's. Every single one is different that's the unique selling point of this forum and car.

No competition to me Zero! OK I wanted a 2B but timing wasn't right.

Best of luck.

Regards

Mark

Guest steve775

robin hood owners are a helpful bunch that will talk to you and even help for the price of tea and biscuits , i'm building a zero and find the help on here priceless , could have got ready built and on the road for less but where's the fun in that.

"Robin Hoods are made from scaffold tubes, this is a Westfield" :fool:

Yeah whatever.

Obviously, I hope to God I never crash mine, but I sure as hell know that I'll be better off in my Hood if I do. :lol: :good:

See you at Stafford Keith & Welcome!