Vauxhal Tigra

Guest Jan

Hi, I know this has nothing to do with Hoods but, My Daughter wants to buy a Vauxhall Tigra 1.4i twin top, We looked at one in a dealers yesterday and its a 2007 model and only done 19,000 miles, I have looked everywhere (Almost) to find out when its first service should be. All I can find is that its service schedule is 20,000 so is it feasible that its not due for its first service yet at least for another 1000 miles? Surely not !! I looked in the service book for the car and NO Stamps in the history.

The dealer was 170 miles each way so I want to make sure before any commitment to buy is made.

Thanks everyone

Regards

Jan

Yes, thats correct, 20,000 mile service intervals and 60,000/3 year warranty - so it's almost out of warranty and needs a service, thats got to be a bargaining point with the dealer, extend the warranty or do the service

Thanks Steve, The dealer had offered to do a 3rd Year service on the car and supply an AA Gold Warranty for 12 Months from purchase. I was even more concerned that when I tried to take the dipstick out to have a look at the state and level of the oil it took me 3 attempts, the stick was almost rusted in, which is hard to believe as the top bit is made of plastic. I didnt have my glasses on so didnt see a lot of detail.

Its priced up at a bit above Glasses guide for retail price, will try to know them down a bit more if I can.

Thanks again

Jan

2007 car eh! Then it should have had at least 2 oil changes by now, I always change my oil every year regardless of mileage.

I try to do that myself where possible too, I would like to be able to talk the the previous owner to ask if they had it done by someone other than a main dealer really.

I made a note of her name from the owners book but cant remember the street address, only the town. My daughter has virtually made her mind up she wants the car but I still have my doubts, she thinks I keep finding things wrong with the cars she looks at, must be a Father Daughter thing lol. Anyway in the end its up to her so I can only advise, otherwise I will be in trouble:spiteful:

Thanks to all for the comments

Jan

Guest garyfelton

I know that Renault state either 18,000 miles or every 12 months whichever the sooner. I think that the fact that they are prepared to do a 3rd year service may indicate that it should be serviced every 20,000 miles or 12 months????

Why not ask a vauxhall dealer the service intervals, (not the one the car is at). HTH

Gary

I know that Renault state either 18,000 miles or every 12 months whichever the sooner. I think that the fact that they are prepared to do a 3rd year service may indicate that it should be serviced every 20,000 miles or 12 months????

Why not ask a vauxhall dealer the service intervals, (not the one the car is at). HTH

Gary

Hi Gary

Yes I've done that at a local dealer and found the dealer who originally sold it, Both said 20,000 or 12 Months whichever sooner. The original dealer who sold it from New said that they only saw the car once in July 2008 when it came in for warranty work, ABS problem, and never had the car in for service.

I know that modern oils have improved but cant help thinking that any internal engine damage could have already occurred but not shown its ugly head yet. All my instincts are saying leave it well alone but my Daughter has fallen in love with it.

I shall carry on digging and see what I come up with.

Thanks for the comments (Keep em coming) lol

Jan

Personally I'd avoid if its not even had an oil change for 3 years, even with the low mileage. It also basically shows its probably not been looked after.There will be others...

Hi Andy

My thoughts too, but try explaining that to a daughter who wants a yellow convertible lol

My Stepfather has a Vectra and took it in at 1 year old for service, they turned him away and said to come back next year!!! (53 plate car)

Nick

Hi Nick,

Well I suppose in theory the car could do 20K in a year so in a way the only problem is the age of the oil, maybe if it was Fully Synthetic it could be OK, oh listen to me Im starting to make excuses to buy the car lol

Jan

Guest chris brown

I don't see a problem with 20K and 2 or even 3 years. More and more manufactures are going on state of oil not on age or mileage my son regularly gets 24K plus before the change oil within 800 miles warning comes up on his merc sprinter.

Did the oil look clean when you managed eventually to get the dip stick out? Does the car have one of those systems that measures the no of cold starts etc that then brings up a service warning light that is dependant on mileage (although they can always be reset!)

Did the oil look clean when you managed eventually to get the dip stick out? Does the car have one of those systems that measures the no of cold starts etc that then brings up a service warning light that is dependant on mileage (although they can always be reset!)

Well it didn't look too bad that I could see but I hadn't got my glasses with me so up close I was at a disadvantage, colour wasn't too black, I think at the time I was just shocked to see rust around the dip stick tube, never seen that before.

Jan

Guest mower man

An oil and filter change would not break the bank surely ? I'm old school but modern oil seems to be ok with 20k+mileages the last firm Iworked at ran Fiat deisel vans 27k changes no probs but it must be top grade oil! hth mowerman :good: