Vauxhal Tigra

Guest Jan

An oil and filter change would not break the bank surely ? I'm old school but modern oil seems to be ok with 20k+mileages the last firm Iworked at ran Fiat deisel vans 27k changes no probs but it must be top grade oil! hth mowerman :good:

Thanks Mowerman,

I'm the same, I like to change oil & filter regular but I think the owner of this Tigra must have just driven it and if the dash didn't say change then she didn't. We have been trying to find her to ask if she had it done elsewhere but no luck finding her yet.

Dealers have come back with a better offer but still not what we are offering, I will have to do the walk away trick, see if that works.

Guest garyfelton

Hi Jan,

If the vehicle has not got a full service history ythen this will knock the resale value. I worked at a renault dealer for 13 years and yes the service intervals were 2 years or 18,000 miles so in practice oil will not be affected by age. Now renault have returned to 12 month service intervals as they now say that oil deteriorates over time and with low milage cars as the engine never warms up to operating temps the oil deteriorates quicker. We had several engines failures turned down under warranty because oil change intervals had not been adhered to. Check the lack of service will affect any warranty offered to you, also haggle on price due to lack of service history. HTH

Gary

Hi Jan,

If the vehicle has not got a full service history ythen this will knock the resale value. I worked at a renault dealer for 13 years and yes the service intervals were 2 years or 18,000 miles so in practice oil will not be affected by age. Now renault have returned to 12 month service intervals as they now say that oil deteriorates over time and with low milage cars as the engine never warms up to operating temps the oil deteriorates quicker. We had several engines failures turned down under warranty because oil change intervals had not been adhered to. Check the lack of service will affect any warranty offered to you, also haggle on price due to lack of service history. HTH

Gary

Thanks Gary

I must say that my gut feeling all along is to walk away, Im stuck between a rock & a hard place, No to the dealer and No to my daughter lol.

I am trying to find the previous owner to ask if they ever had any kind of service done by an independent garage etc.

I have just spoken to the warranty company and they say that as long as it is serviced regularly from when we have it then the car will be covered (Hard to believe) but I have taken her name so I know who to shout at if any claim is rejected.

This is all becoming a headache lol

Thanks Again

Guest Getting There

Hi

Just as an aside, the oil that they use from new is fully synthetic. As a job I test engines to destruction, and the latest batch of oils we have had in to test which is going to be used by a large manufacturer is so that on diesel the oil changes will be 50000 miles, and they are going for a 100000 mile ten year change on the petrol engines. When testing commercial vehicle oil, we had a test vehicle on the road and every 2000 miles we sampled the oil, the changes recommended by the vehcile manufaturer were every 40000 miles, the vehicle was on the road and did 175000 miles before the oil degraded by 5%, and in terms of quality was still as good as the standard for that particular oil from new. BMW have developed a sealed for life engine, and have done trials to over 300000 miles and the oil samples showed no degradation problems.

OK engines that have done a lot of town runs not to temperature, etc the oil will degrade faster however the miles and years stated here will have done nothing to the oil. Oils used in modern vehicles typically 5w30w synthetic will not degrade over 3 years and after 6 and double the mileage may still be fine.

The oil that is used in the Vauxhall should be absolutely fine, if you are really bothered, local oil companies (we use Millers) will sample the oil and tell you if its OK, I would guarantee that they would say it didn't even need changing.

I know that it seems a long time for an oil change when even 15 years ago the 6 month 6000 miles was still in place, and a lot of people are worried about 20000 mile 3 year intervals; but what is coming in the next 5 years, under service schedules the spark plugs and oil might not be touched until 6 years and 60000 miles.

It like anything as time progresses it gets better where as 15 years ago it was something to worry about, now it will be no problem.

Hope this helps, and doesn't sound derogatory in any way.

Cheers

Chris

Hi

Just as an aside, the oil that they use from new is fully synthetic. As a job I test engines to destruction, and the latest batch of oils we have had in to test which is going to be used by a large manufacturer is so that on diesel the oil changes will be 50000 miles, and they are going for a 100000 mile ten year change on the petrol engines. When testing commercial vehicle oil, we had a test vehicle on the road and every 2000 miles we sampled the oil, the changes recommended by the vehcile manufaturer were every 40000 miles, the vehicle was on the road and did 175000 miles before the oil degraded by 5%, and in terms of quality was still as good as the standard for that particular oil from new. BMW have developed a sealed for life engine, and have done trials to over 300000 miles and the oil samples showed no degradation problems.

OK engines that have done a lot of town runs not to temperature, etc the oil will degrade faster however the miles and years stated here will have done nothing to the oil. Oils used in modern vehicles typically 5w30w synthetic will not degrade over 3 years and after 6 and double the mileage may still be fine.

The oil that is used in the Vauxhall should be absolutely fine, if you are really bothered, local oil companies (we use Millers) will sample the oil and tell you if its OK, I would guarantee that they would say it didn't even need changing.

I know that it seems a long time for an oil change when even 15 years ago the 6 month 6000 miles was still in place, and a lot of people are worried about 20000 mile 3 year intervals; but what is coming in the next 5 years, under service schedules the spark plugs and oil might not be touched until 6 years and 60000 miles.

It like anything as time progresses it gets better where as 15 years ago it was something to worry about, now it will be no problem.

Hope this helps, and doesn't sound derogatory in any way.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris

Thank you for such a detailed reply, it was fascinating to read what the future will be bringing, I reckon you could earn a fortune on ebay with all those samples lol, No really that was most interesting and enlightening and a pleasure to read, thank you for taking the time to write it all.

As far as getting a sample of the oil, that will be a bit of a problem as the car is about 170 Miles away and if I ask the dealer to take a sample and send it to me he will think I have completely lost the plot or taking the ****s and how would I know it was from that car.

It does at least give me some good news though, maybe if I can still knock them down a bit on the price it will make one daughter a very happy young lady, its bad enough every month let alone having to tell her not to buy a car she loves. lol

Thanks very much for the information

Jan

My Exmo has a fully automated oil change system as standard. I fill it up, it trundles round the engine for a few miles then drips onto my drive, then I fill it up again.

:rofl::rofl: Brilliant comment :rofl: :rofl: I like your style

• 2 weeks later...

Well in the end my daughter is going to Dudley on Saturday to buy the car, after many emails we managed to beat them down by 650 get all the jobs sorted, two new front tyres,a 3 year service, and 12 months network Q warranty. Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment, now have one very happy daughter lol just have to sell her "Y" reg Fiesta now :rolleyes: