Age Related Plate

johnhetherington

Has anyone else seen the article in the October edition of Kitcar magazine about Tim Barnett who bought a lightweight kit.

He bought a Sierra XR4i for £50 as the donor and it took him 2 years to build. When built but not SVA'd he got an offer of a free track day at Donnington, very unlucky but the car caught fire whilst on the track and even worse, Tim inhaled fumes and got pneumonia.

Anyway this guy was not deterred and he bought a Zero from GBS, transferred the parts from the burnt out shell, engine gearbox etc and completed the Zero, had it SVA'd and now is a proud owner of a very nice looking Zero on an 09 plate.

Now having set the scene, my question, how on earth has he ended up with a new plate, I thought I had it all clear in my mind about age related plates, Q plates and new plates.

He admits that he used the parts from his Sierra donor, engine, gearbox, front suspension, wheel assemblies, brakes and most of the remains of the front of the car, so Tim can not possibly have a new plate, DVLA say for a new plate all new parts and 1 major part reconditioned up to a recognised standard, well he doesn't qualify there, surely he should have an age related plate as the year of his Sierra donor, or have I got it wrong yet again.

John very puzzled.

http://www.johnskitcar.com

John has struck lucky. The DVLA is staffed by persons who failed the exam for village idiots but got good marks in the obstructive twats test.

The rules for allocation of plates to new built kit cars although fairly easy to understand do contain some words more than four letters long and not commonly found in Janet and John books. Only one person working for DVLA in any county or sometimes region, i.e Wales or 'The Southwest' knows what they are doing. This means that 80% of the time registering your kit car is a lengthy hassle, 19% of the time it goes without a hitch and the occasional lucky 1% come out ahead of the game.

Disclaimer. The explanation is entirely the product of a fevered imagination, mind bending drugs, mental illness and is being posted by someone who has hacked into my account.

Mickey Mouse.

I wish to complain that this post could be considered offensive to village idiots.

Donald Duck

Guest robinj66

But will his emmissions be set by the new plate when MOT comes around, an older plate gives a lot of leeway. :unsure:

No - the emission levels are entered on to the V5 by DVLA at registration using info on the IVA Certificate (MAC as was). This is the info used at MOT time.

At least that's how it's supposed to be. :huh:

Alternatively, refer to M Mouse above :fool:

Guest The Modfather

Is that why most DVLA offices are found in small villages?

You forgot to mention that they are a 100% profit making organisation...............Possibly made up of village idiots?

Daffy

it gets even more fun when some people with age related plates have 3 years before MOT and others like me <_< only get 1 year!

By the seems of it he will get 3 years before MOT as its a 'new' car but only god knows as DVLA sure as hell don't.

Guest Neil.Pritchard

Hi John, I used Paul Jepson to register my 2B when finished, all the paperwork was sent to DVLA Swansea. Engine,gearbox,rear axle all from donar vehicle sierra on a D plate. Someone at DVLA in their wisdom sent me a shinny new 10 plate, checked with Paul and he said it was a mistake but as all the returned paper work was all stamped with new reg plate leave as is. Big thanks to DVLA. Cheers Neil.

Hi John, I used Paul Jepson to register my 2B when finished, all the paperwork was sent to DVLA Swansea. Engine,gearbox,rear axle all from donar vehicle sierra on a D plate. Someone at DVLA in their wisdom sent me a shinny new 10 plate, checked with Paul and he said it was a mistake but as all the returned paper work was all stamped with new reg plate leave as is. Big thanks to DVLA. Cheers Neil.

You lucky lucky *****!!!

This seems to be happening alot recently, My thoughts are that maybe the dvla offices are issued a certain number of old registrations, once these have gone they give out new reg plates,

or perhaps that the only age related plates that are left are all worth money due to the spelling and they would rather sell the reg than give it away on a kit car.