St 170 Engine Transplant

Guest whiz

I'm considering fitting an ST 170 duratec in my S7 has anyone done it on here. is it the same as fitting a blacktop zetec as it is just a more modern version any info would be appreciated.

Andy

Me and Gdc to name but two have had ST170's running in Hoods for a while. Identical to fitting a blacktop. I don't think it's significantly better than a blacktop, you need a pricey ECU to provide PWM proportional control for the cam timing (my Omex 600 won't do it) and the blacktop has more and easier tuning options and potential for less cash. A lot of tuners remove the VCT as the first step in tuning this engine. Apart from that it's a great engine with a stronger bottom end than a blacktop zetec and a better flowing head.

Nigel

Guest stuart_

the duratec will need a different bell housing, as it the duratec engine, is relay designed my Mazda, not ford so the bell housings are different.

the exhaust is on the same side as a pinto, and nearly the the same spacings. so bonus if you are coming from a pinto.

hope that helps a little

stuart

as nigel says the st is a miss match , its a vvt head on a zetec bottom end , however the st has steel crank

steel rods an forged pistons , unlike the cast items in a zetec

its a cross over engine , between the zetec and the duratech.

its a very strong engine and will produce power , i am still learning with my one .

its being fitted in a zero as we speak.

paul carter has one in a westie and recons its a kneck snapper .

graham

I'd best hurry up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm putting an ST170 engine in a Zero purely for the bottom end strength, IVA will be with the VVT present but will be removing it afterwards to gain extra power,

Bellhousing is the same as pinto, and fitment is the same process as the blacktop Zetec, Although nearside engine mount point is slightly different but a zetec mount can be modified. The head sits slightly higher so may need a bulge or scoop fitted in the bonnet.

As Nigel and Graham have said, its not a Duratek but a rebadged Zetec with VVT head, larger ports and a much stronger bottom end.

Guest ianjenn

I have an st170 in a 2b, and it was a straight swap except for a nearside engine mount from the previous black top engine fitted, it gives me about 10-15hp across the rev range more than the blacktop. I run the st170 with identical setup i.e. same bike carbs (rejetted obviously) and megajolt. An expensive ECU is not required as the VVT in the st170 is only a switch with the variation controlled by oil pressure. The megajolt brings in the VVT at 2600 revs (found to be optimal on a RR). Of course I also have nitrous kicking in at 3000 revs and full throttle if the mood takes!!

Guest jasonmorris

Am I right in saying the exhaust on the st170 duratec is actually on the same side as the zetec, which is opposite to the pinto? It is the later duratecs that have the exhaust on the same side as the pinto.

Jason

I went to babysit my grandaughter after posting this morning. May well have been quite properly moderated into the bin due to crankyness and sarcasm.

I removed a post I made last night from this thread as it was too cranky. Then had another attack this morning. I must not take things too seriously.

Nigel