Driving Kit Car In Snow.

Guest jusycom

Guest jusycom

Hi just wondering how my Kit car will go in the snow with the white stuff on its way over next week , i am using my car everyday now so need to know if it will like playing out in snow , will i need a couple of bags of sand in boot for added traction. Cheers justin

Hi just wondering how my Kit car will go in the snow with the white stuff on its way over next week , i am using my car everyday now so need to know if it will like playing out in snow , will i need a couple of bags of sand in boot for added traction. Cheers justin

Hi Justin, Haven't had to use my S7 in snow but my first kit was a Dutton Phaeton which i had to use all year round for five years.I found i had to put weight in boot to help traction.Even with this the fen roads were very testing(but great fun).Nick.

Guest Stuartl

Crikey, having to use a kit in the snow?

I dont even take mine out if there is an outside chance of rain and hats of to those that do all weather kit car motoring.

:clapping: :clapping:

I will NEVER moan about my van again!

It can be done!

p1000595adjusted1610sma.jpg

I think my car is reasonable in the snow, probably around average i reckon. It seemed to cope with general slush and snow better than my ex-housemate's celica, which he complained of getting wheelspin all the way up our main road.

If it can make it up the snake when it is closed it can't be all bad.

I reckon having an LSD helps too.

Andy

Guest Stuartl

It can be done!

p1000595adjusted1610sma.jpg

I think my car is reasonable in the snow, probably around average i reckon. It seemed to cope with general slush and snow better than my ex-housemate's celica, which he complained of getting wheelspin all the way up our main road.

If it can make it up the snake when it is closed it can't be all bad.

I reckon having an LSD helps too.

Andy

Brilliant Pic Andy, absolutely superb!

Guest jusycom

Yes thats what i was thinking , i,ve got a saab 93 aero, but sorn it as its for sale and insurance has run out , have not got funds to use it but would be nice cos that goes every where in snow , so thought as 2B is insured and taxed and saves me a tenner a week in fuel , would use that till i sell saab and buy something smaller as a runabout. justin

Drove mine right through last winter, at least your never cold with the hood up as there is so much heat coming from the engine bay. I found myself grinning every day when i got to work although one perticular night after a bit of a thor and flash freeze it took 3.5hrs to get home (just 4 miles) at one point I got stuck on a slight incline going over a bridge as i had to stop and couldn't get moving again :yahoo:

The biggest problem I had was salt, even though I rinsed the car off with clean water it just attacked the front of the car!

I also ran with a bag of sand on the back shelf which seemed to help.

Skinny tyres is the jobbie or find a nice flat carpark and pretend you're in F&F Tokyo Drift :)

When you have a big old lump like my CLK with fat tyres, automatic, RWD and no handbrake, then you suffer :D

However, everything pales into insignificance compared to the journey I had to make 2 years ago in the first real snow for many a cold moon. I was flying into Gatwick at 00:00 with the white stuff falling. I realised things were amis when we saw snow falling on the hills near Alicante!!

Just about to touch down in Gatwick when we started climbing and headed through the white-out to Bristol. Gatwick was closed.

Touched down about 01:00 and waited until 02:30 for a coach to take us back to Gatwick. Drove through the night in blizzard conditions up the M4 as about 10 MPH at times with the coach getting all out of shaps and slewing sideways on a number of occassions. It was one hairy journey but made it to Gatwick at about 07:30.

So, ater having endured a nightmare of a journey I finally got back to my vehicle. Everything was under a blanket of about 2ft of snow, it was freezing, the roads were closed and I was exhausted.

All of which was a piece of p*ss compared to the 30 mile journey I had ahead of me on a Yamaha Fazer 1000. Made it home just after 12:00.