Back Panel Fitting

Guest maco

hey guys Im at the stage of fitting the back panel on :S i have a rough idea of doing it but would like to make sure Im doing correctly .

don't really want to get it wrong could anyone help me ?

Guest gixerboy600

Hi,

I would suggest either having a look at Shaft's build pics or mine but,

firstly have a large clear area to work

Deburr all edges

lay the panel down and find the dead center point and also the same on the trim piece, clamp the two together and skin pin them.

remove the trim piece and refix on the underside of the panel

CAREFULLY fold the panel up using the trim as a guide whilst applying pressure down at the same time thus creating a curve!

repeat on the other side.

DO NOT be tempted to rivet the bottom of the side to the underside of the panel!!!

refit trim piece to top of panel with tadpole piping between the two.

Trial fit to the car ensuring the chassis is well protected, you will have the panel on and off a few times.

Once happy with the fit and you have the underside trimmed and skin pinned to the chassis you can mark and rivet the sides to the underside panel. DO NOT trim the "fins" (I made this mistake)

TAKE YOUR TIME

All will be fine!!!

I pannicked and put this job off for 3 months!!!! Took far less effort than I expected and all was complete in just over a day.

Cheers

John

hey thank you

ive debured everthing and even got the dead centre but im glad i asked cos i was going start at the bottom riveting it to the bottom of the chassis oppps guess i was wrong i should hopefully have it done soon thank you very much :good: :drinks:

Guest gixerboy600

can i ask tho ive notice on me stainles steel back panel that there is excess at the bottom did you have to same and did you cut it off ?

There is excess, leave this on!!! The rear diffuser attaches here (if you have one) Also mine was in Ally not stainless so might be a bit more tricky. If in doubt speak to Richard at GBS for help, they will give you loads of help

Cheers

John

There is excess, leave this on!!! The rear diffuser attaches here (if you have one) Also mine was in Ally not stainless so might be a bit more tricky. If in doubt speak to Richard at GBS for help, they will give you loads of help

Cheers

John

thank you john

that has help me alot and alot more positive in doing the job

cheers

Matthew :D

Matthew,

John's covered the main point "DO NOT be tempted to rivet the bottom of the side to the underside of the panel!!!" I didi and had to remove the rivets and re-drill not in the build manual!!!!

It easier than it looks get somebody to help.

Regards

Mark

Matthew,

John's covered the main point "DO NOT be tempted to rivet the bottom of the side to the underside of the panel!!!" I didi and had to remove the rivets and re-drill not in the build manual!!!!

It easier than it looks get somebody to help.

Regards

Mark

hey mark

so when i ive completed the top of the back panel should i rivet it to the T bar that the feul tank is sitting on first the drill the holes in the side ?

cheers

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys

ive made a boob :shok: :sorry: and ive drilled the holes in the top flat panel 50mm gaps in between them and when i placed it back on the back panel the holes dont even land on any of the tongues :( if i driled some more holes on the sides so there was 25mm spaces would that be able to pass the iva ?

help :cray:

Matt

Guest gixerboy600

Hi Matt,

Alternatively get a new panel from GBS, centre it on the back panel, clamp it together and then drill and skin pin it as you go, they don't have to be 50mm apart along this trim piece.

HTH's

John