Alarms + Pagers

Guest Mark P

Guest Mark P

Opinions please,

I'm looking at getting some security for the car and have come to a bit of a hurdle.

What would be the best to get,

1: A car alarm which provides lots of optional extras which would be of little use as central locking, electric window, boot release are things to be laughed at and what would you do with the ultra sonics?

2: A bike alarm that provides siren, tilt switches easy to fit. Yet can it be fitted to the car and what would the down sides be?

Also, can pagers be put with both alarms or just car/bike

The trouble is I don't want to get an alarm and only use half of what I paid for but i'm unsure the bike alarm would be any good, I also want to fit a pager but not knowing how they work sort of makes it harder than it should be.

I know all this is probably too much but when you go out at night to the pub/see friends, can you honestly say you can relax without thinking that some nice jealous person is helping them selves to your pride and joy.

Also it would be good for Le Mans

I might be over reacting and wrong so please have your say.

Mark.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ian luxford

i have an immobiliser with a transponder that goes on the key ring mainly got it so i could have a switch/button for the ignition/starter rather than turning the key havent really thought about a alarm mainly because i see them to stop people taking things from inside the car rather than the car itself!

Guest rizla
:rolleyes: the best imobilizer ive seen was on a sierra cosworth,the car was fitted with a micro switch on the back of the ash tray hole you can only start the car with the ash tray pulled out. with it in it wont start

Guest David Cairncross

I bought a TOAD alarm for my VW Golf for about £100 off t'internet, Thatcham Cat 1 (although it has to be professionally fitted to get the certificate). Like you said it came with stuff for the windows etc which would obviously be redundant in our case.

What i'm planning on doing is getting another of these and fitting the ultrasonics at the end of the footwells which will sound the alarm and flash indicators should anyone get in it and hopefully put them off the idea, and rely on the immobilser to stop them taking it. For a £100 its gotta be worth it for peace of mind!

Guest David Cairncross

As far as i know it only sets the alarm off if the windows are down cause of a draft blowing an air freshner or other dangly bits people have etc etc, i think if you positioned them well in the footwells they'd be fine

Guest Russler

I can confirm this, I have ultrasonics just behind the dashboard working in the fashion described above and with some fine adjustment they work very well.

Guest Mark P

Thanks for the replies so far.

So getting a car alarm might not be a waste of money after all.

Does anyone know how the pagers work. I think that would be the icing on the cake :D

Does the idea of a motor bike alarm sound any good or do people have doubts about fitting these to a car?? They are alot smaller.

Mark.

When I got my car some 6 years ago, there was talk about car alarms (in the mag, we didn't have this great forum then) it was stated that only 3 Robin Hoods had ever been reported stolen up to then, and they were by the "drive & dump" brigade. <_< (Well they are a bit obvious) :o I've not heard of any more since then. :)

I've found the biggest problem, is little scrots getting in the car when you're not there :angry: , I've come back and found footprints on the seat more than once. :gdit:

So it's not the immobiliser that's the main thing in my view, but a bloody machine gun in the steering wheel column would be good! or metalic bands that spring out, pining them to the seat whilst a spring loaded spike comes up through the seat and kebab's them :gdit: :gdit:

I hate uncontrolled kids!

Guest Battery Bill

Jim / Rizzo

You have upset Joey now :boohoo: :boohoo:

Back to alarms the Controllable kid and I were at cadwell one day and there was a Dax Rush thingy sitting there it looked pretty good, Along came this old geezer (Big Jims age) and popped his head in to look at the inside and off went a "Bloody loud" alarm which scared the pants off him and his dear wife. I suppose to scare people off an alarm might be worthwhile but only the petty thief types who want to nick your shiney gearknob :rolleyes:

Guest Stuart Ainslie

Use a microwave sensor instead of ultrasonics.

I have had a few Clifford systems installed in a couple of my cars, one of which was a soft top. You can leave the roof down but until somebody actually enters the protected zone, it will not go off.

Unlike ultrasonics, which can easily be set off by a mouse farting at 50 metres.....

Stuart

Guest AWhite

I agree with what Stuart said.

I rang my local Car Electronics place a while ago and they suggested a Clifford alarm, they have a special soft top one that chirps at any one that leans into the car then goes balistic if anyone gets in. The door sensors can be put on the engine cover so if anyone gets curious it will go off. If you have a locking boot you can put a sensor on that.

Check this link out Clifford Accessories

Look at the Dual-Zone Proximity Sensor 4.

I have a clifford fitted to my everyday car and it is the dogs danglies.

Andy

Guest Roger 2B

I like the idea of a pager with the alarm, it would give an extra level of confidence while the car is left somewhere (they are available for cars). The only downside I see is if the alarm is too sensitive you will be forever running back to the car.