Alarms + Pagers

Guest Mark P

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AWhite

Sorry my memory is bad. It depends which model you base he system on, here are the offices:

Leicester Head Office / Mail Order

cel-direct.com, 9 Oakland Road, Leicester LE2 6AN

Express Order Line: 0116 244 9845

Pre Sales Advice Line: 0116 244 9846

Returns / Order Tracking: 0116 244 9847

Service / Repairs 0116 244 9866

Fax: 0116 244 9855

E-mail: sales@cel-direct.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Car Electronics Ltd Derby Branch

13 Ashbourne Road, Derby, DE22 3FQ

Showroom Sales: 01332 332 546

Fax: 01332 203 155

E-mail: derby@cel-direct.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Car Electronics Ltd Nottingham Branch

Dominion House, Castle Boulevard, Nottingham, NG7 1FN

Showroom Sales: 0115 924 0666

Fax: 0115 941 0559

E-mail: nottingham@cel-direct.com

Drop them an email/line.

Andy

Guest daveg

all

A tracker is the tops

If your car is stolen the police can visit the lock-up and recover it :)

But I think its too expensive so I am going to copy Jim's suggestion, I am also going to use a microwave :) so I'll have kebab'ed and cooked thiefs :)

Dave

Guest Stuart Ainslie

A cheap form of a tracker is by using a pay-as-you-go mobile phone permanently wired and hidden in the car..

There are companies that can track the precise position of the phone for a small fee, a friend of mine uses this in his TVR Chimaera (when it works ! - the car, not the phone)

Stuart.

Guest daveg

Stuart

How?

Unless you have GPS in the phone I cannot see how! Triangulation from at least 3 cell sites would be required. The best you can do is locate a phone to a cell site and then you would have to search about 25 square miles

If you could goto the right cell area and then use a signal locator to find the phone you may have a chance.

With tracker you could find a moving car :)

Dave

Guest David Cairncross

I'm not sure of the ins and outs of how it can do it but they can definatley trace a mobile phone accuratley. There are services out there for parents so they can find out where their kids are at any time by using this method. Also theres alot of debate at the moment as haulage companies are using it to track there lorries on long distance hauls. Apaarantley so customers have a more accurate delivery time etc, more likely so the drivers can be told to hurry up!!

Guest Stuart Ainslie

daveg,

Sorry I cant give you a full answer - I'm an Electrical Engineer, not Mobile Telecoms.

I do believe though, that with modern mobile networks, they are able to get a precise location from triangulation using the cells. Probably would be crap if you live in sticks but good nearer to cities.

As David mentions, this is a well publicised service for parents to 'track' their kids that can obviously be applied to other situations - There is a charge for using the service but I am sure that it will work out a lot cheaper than a subscription to Tracker or whoever.

Stuart.

Guest Mr Pid

The local sheriff office and private detectives that we sometimes use, frequently use mobiles as a way of tracking people.

After all what is a mobile phone if not a homing beacon, it sends out a signal so it can be found by others wishing to call you so they use it to track your exact position. Apparently they can track it within about 3ft!!

Sounds like a good idea with regard to hiding the phone in the car, although if you do not use mobiles for a while they end up getting cut off!!!

There are some really cool systems out there some of which let the thief actually take the car without to much fuss then shut it all down about five minutes later with smoke and sirens flashing!!

Stu

You've all lost it! :angry:

Robin Hoods don't get nicked!!!!!!

The main problem is people " trying them out" ie sitting in the car, using the silencer & seat as steps, swinging on the steering wheel, or windscreen.

99% get in, see that the bonnet is a million miles away, their arse is scrapping the floor nearly, the steering wheel feels like a button, and they crap themselves!

But they don't get nicked.

Guest daveg

Accurate Upto 100metres thats the best they can do

Here

so your car could be anywhere within a 10 square km area!

You would be lucky to find it!

The ONLY way is GPS...

Dave

PS Think about it another way...how many phones get recovered by police?

Answer approx none, if it was so easy then don't you think they would mount 1 or 2 raids? In London...I think the figure is 50% of street robbery involves a mobile

If you have an expensive car GET A TRACKER

Just got around to fitting an Alarm/immobiliser I got a few moths ago after worrying about people messing about with the car when I leave it to go off somewhere .

The alarm chirps as a warning if the car has a slight knock (someone trying to get in it) hopefully that should put people off from messing about before the alarm comes on full blast.

I have wired the immobiliser relay into the fuse box where the automatic gearbox relay was, seemed a good place to tap into the wires as this circuit prevented an automatic car starting if it was in 'drive'.

Les

Guest Battery Bill

Stu

The local sheriff office and private detectives that we sometimes use, frequently use mobiles as a way of tracking people

Did they not use this to convict Ian Huntly ? So it obviously works then.

Personally I agree with Jim, They probably won't be stolen but I also agree with Stu

In my experience they do get vandalised though!
So I suppose its just keep your fingers crossed that Mr scrote does not find your car. <_<

Guest Roger 2B

Daveg,

How do you work out that accurate to within 100m leaves a 10 square km to search?

100m is approx 100 yds, to get it into English. That narrows it down to a small car park.

The emergency services in Lincolnshire have applied for permission to use mobile phones top locate accidents and incidents in the country. When people used to call from phone boxes the emergency services knew where they were. Most people now call from mobiles and often can't describe where they are accurately enough - hence wanting to pinpoint their mobile.