Battery Bill

Guest Chutney

Guest Chutney

Just trying to find a spot for me battery, and whilst the name battery bill pops up alot, no definitive answers.

So what's the crack? Get a small odyssey 545 and mount it under the zetec exhaust in front of the passenger firewall.

Or dare I say it..... Stick it in the boot- attached to the chassis for ground with probably 6mm2 live cable( I say cable it will probably be more like a length of re-bar)

What do we think?

Guest The Modfather

Just trying to find a spot for me battery, and whilst the name battery bill pops up alot, no definitive answers.

So what's the crack? Get a small odyssey 545 and mount it under the zetec exhaust in front of the passenger firewall.

Or dare I say it..... Stick it in the boot- attached to the chassis for ground with probably 6mm2 live cable( I say cable it will probably be more like a length of re-bar)

What do we think?

I wouldn't put any type of battey near an exhaust, gel or not. If you are using a small one, can it not fit on the bulkhead? Or, in the passenger footwell against the bulkhead, or behind the passenger seat? You can lay gels on their side as well, which may open more options.

Daz

Guest Chutney

I only suggested the 545 cos I read Nigel talking about it. Does anyone know if it will be man enough for starting a zetec .

I'd prefer to tuck a standard jobby in the boot. Has anyone done this? Is it plausable with chunky live wire?

Guest graham dockerill
:rolleyes: "battery bill" got his name as in his eyes the only place for the battery was in the rear of a robin hood. What happened to him and his boy Joey , they were allways on here years ago.

Threw his rattle out of the pram in a fairly big and personal way.

Battery in the boot is no problem from a technical point of view so long as you account for a couple of things. The battery cable will need to be beefy as the longer the cable the more voltage drop there can be and if it isn't heavy enough it can turn into a fairly effective heating element. That big long cable is always going to be live with no fuze so it needs to be VERY well protected and routed carefully as damage could expose the conductor and result in fires in seconds or worse in hours (i.e. long enough for you to have walked away from the car and be in bed).

Iain

Guest Chutney

There we are- a sensible answer! So... Perhaps if I stuck one of those battery switch- big red plastic thinggys on the live, near the battery. Then all would be well.

Hmmm perhaps battery bills battery burned out leaving bill badly burned and his battery broken beyond bodgery?

Odyssey PC680 1n the boot,25mm c.s.a. cable double insulated & in flexible conduit to bus-bar near fusebox (over pedals). Battery switch with low amp fuse by-pass on battery; not on road yet but has looked after all cranking & fan/lighting loads; so far -- so good; & its tiny only takes up about 40% of box I built for "a battery".