Plough Tube Would It Be Missed

speedtripledan

Guest Ian & Carole

Interesting question Dan.

Mine never had one.!!!!!!!!

2001 Sliding pillar chassis.

I have seen some plough tubes that worn they weren't doing any thing any way.

Was it not the plough that caught up in that steel plate on the road that wrote Chris Stubbs's (Getting There)car off.

Always seem very vulnerable to me.

Get the angry out you know you want too.

If my chassis wasn't powder coated i'd cut it partly through bend it up to level with the lowest point of the engine/gearbox and reweld it. If its the same level as the engine/gearbox then if you are going to hit the plough then you are going to hit the E/GB. well thats my thinking.

Alternative would be to cut it off and make a strut brace that sits higher that can be removed, which could be useful for dropping the engine out in the future, hopefully not whilst its moving.

hth

Thanks Chris...!

Bob Tucker cut his out a couple of years ago when he fitted the red top and took careful measurements to see if anything moved. It didn't

The only proviso is that it is a sliding pillar chassis that has a massive X in front of the radiator as part of the pillar support on the chassis.

My only worry was the engine mounts being on top of 2 unsupported L shaped bits of chassis, but thats not moved either..I made up a removable cross brace, but never needed to fit it. 4 years & 15k miles now.

Chop it off!!!!

At your own risk obviously... :lol:

Bob

Reason for thinking about it was changing my alloy sump the tube is right in the way on the n/s and I,m not in the mood for taking the engine out! And being such a funny shape I cannot see how it adds rigidity to me it would be more like a spring. Looks like the grinder is coming out ...

Thanks Chris...!

The only proviso is that it is a sliding pillar chassis that has a massive X in front of the radiator as part of the pillar support on the chassis.

My only worry was the engine mounts being on top of 2 unsupported L shaped bits of chassis, but thats not moved either..I made up a removable cross brace, but never needed to fit it. 4 years & 15k miles now.

Chop it off!!!!

At your own risk obviously... :lol:

Bob

My chassis is a later stainless wishbone version circa 2006 going to crawl undr the car today and have another look..

Reason for thinking about it was changing my alloy sump the tube is right in the way on the n/s and I,m not in the mood for taking the engine out!

If you jack the engine up an inch or two off the mounts it is possible to change the sump witn the engine in the car and the tube left in place, but it is a tight squeeze.