Xr4i Donor

Guest stuartturbo

Guest stuartturbo

Will an Sierra XR4i be ok as a donor not the engine. Can i asume the diff can take more power than a standard sierra.ie will suspension brakes and al the over bits be ok FOR a 2B

I will bow to greater knowledge on this one, but I think that you can use the axle & steering etc. all the other parts that are needed. The rear axle should give you a LSD and disc brakes (not that they are needed) but if you do use it, I would like the rubber engine mountings off it, (you can't use those, you need the ones from a "standard" sierra, even a CVH model.)

Guest Mr Pid

I used one as one of my donor's - i basicly stripped it of all the driven gear (rear axle, diff, brakes etc) to cope with the extra power.

After taking advice from dax sportscars, who produce rather lethal machines, they said do not use the rear discs as they are too powerful for hit cars as there is not enough weight in the back and this leads to over braking.

So i ended up using the rear drums off another donor, but i know some people do use the rear discs with no problems but at the end of the day its up to you.

Have fun :D

Guest Mike Perry

HUM! I've always wanted to go down the limited slip diff route, but thought that discs at the rear would be OTT and over braked.

Q. for Mr Pid. Which drive shafts did you use, and how did you mate them up between the drum hubs and the LSD.

Mike

What sort of XR4i is it?.

If it's the 2.8 V6 3 door then the transmission and brakes are the same as the 2.0 of the same age (vented front discs and rear drums). The servo is fiercer (a bad thing on a lighter car) and the input shaft on the box is longer (a good thing if you want to apply it to the business end of a V8).

If it's a 2.0 DOHC then yes it should have rear discs but I don't think it will have an LSD. As far as I'm aware these were only fitted to 4x4's (including XR4x4's).

Have fun

Iain

Guest Mr Pid

I enquiried at a few engineering places, although westfield were the most helpful as a few of thier customers who have fitted cosworth engines needed some and they could make some, at a price of course.

It is alot of grief for what its worth so i stuck to the norm for the moment, i have it all spare to fit post SVA, along with a million other mods. I suppose you could combat the overbraking senario with a brake bias valve?!?

Ill let you know how it goes if i ever get round to it

Stu :rolleyes:

Guest paul mercer

i was told that you could unbolt the inners of the lsd and use the casing of the non lsd diff. this info came from a bloke who races cosworth engined cars. he also used to work at boreham ( ford racing test gound). as usual i take no responsibility for this info!!

could you not take out the dummy shaft from the lsd diff and use normal shafts?

Guest boggie

I was told that you cannot change the internals of the two diffs. Now I have both in my garage (3.6:1 non LSD from 2.0 GL and 3.9:1 from 2.0 4x4). The cases are the same but the driveshafts and their mountings are different so I would not like to speculate. However one thing I do know is that you will have a devil of a job taking them apart. You will need a special tool to remove the side covers but this often breaks as the alloy-in-alloy threads are hard to shift.

I would advise searching for a 2.0L 4x4 diff at a breakers.

Boggie