1.8 Cvh Starte Motor Pin Out

femster87

Hi Guys thank you for answering my questions yesterday.

I do have another one. Can anybody please tell me the connectors that goes to each bolt on the starter motor. There is a big bolt and a small one. Also there is a threaded rod poking out of the solenoid body and finally there is a soldered on connector. Any pointers would be great. I assume the big bolt would be the positive connector and the small one is the earth that connects to engine block, what is the other two.

Cheers

Femi

A picture would be good, but I think your large connector is the positive from the battery, there may be a braided cable connecting this to the smaller connection, which is not the earth. The starter earths through the engine by being bolted to it.

Threaded rod on solenoid will be the ignition controlled live when starting, and the spade connector may be for a ballast resisted ignition system.

Don't forget these things have multiple applications and not all connections are used in all applications

On my starter it used big red lead from battery to big thread on the starter and small spade connector from the loom, that's it.

Big black lead from battery to bolt holding starter motor to bell housing, earth strap to engine and from engine to chassis, gearbox has earth strap from centre mounting bolt to metal body.

The earth straps are as important as the power feed to complete the circuit and give full power to the starter.